W202 aircon compressor question

PJ61

Reaction score
I have a 96 C200. The aircon has needed to be recharged every couple of years.

This time the aircon people told me there was some seepage through the compressor seal (they'd put in a dye when I first went there four years ago) though there was still some pressure in the system, so I could probably carry on topping it up every couple of years.

Well two days later there is no cold air at all. I'm guessing the higher pressure has finally done for a dodgy seal.

1. Is this likely?
2. Is there any way I can tell what the problem is?
3. They told me if I want it fixed, the compressor is only now avaialable as a complete unit. Do I have any better option than paying for them to fit a replacement £400 compressor? (yes - I know opening the window is one option).

Appreciate any advice.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Easiest way has got to be a second hand unit, they dont go wrong very often so a used one should be a good bet.

Lynall

OP
P

PJ61

Reaction score
Thanks for this info.

I notice on the work sheet the wording is "suspect shaft seal leak". Is the shaft seal inside the compressor unit? The reason I ask is that another garage quoted me £1.27 for a seal, but said if it's the one inside the compressor we won't be able to do it.

What's the other seal?

Also - for my own curiosity, is this suspect leak visible from an external inspection? Where do I look to see what they're talking about?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
The seal/s are leaking on my A/C compressor and boy don't I know it - oil everywhere. It is being spread around the front of the engine, up the side of the washer bottle both left and right hand sides of the engine bay front and the multi-vee belt is covered in the stuff.

OP
P

PJ61

Reaction score
That sounds a lot worse than mine. Though I don't have any cold air so what difference.

The thing is the last people who recharged it said I had to replace the whole unit (about 400 quid), labour, regas, VAT, all likely to come to something like £600-700.

Do I need to pay this much?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
That sounds a lot worse than mine. Though I don't have any cold air so what difference.

The thing is the last people who recharged it said I had to replace the whole unit (about 400 quid), labour, regas, VAT, all likely to come to something like £600-700.

Do I need to pay this much?

A new compressor and filter drier for my E240 comes to £364 from Auto Air Con Parts (best price I can find) plus fitting and recharge so I think it should come out at around £500ish inclusive.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom