W202 Alarm - very odd issue

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I've had my 1996 W202 C200 (pre facelift) for 7 years now and it has been a great car. Just lately, however, the alarm (actually the 2 main keys, I think) has started doing something odd. Long story short, if I alarm and disarm using the flat "emergency" fob all is well. However, if I use either of the main keys, I very often get a situation where the alarm will not arm (if disarmed) or will not disarm (if alarmed). Whenever this happens the red led's in the mirror flash for about 40 seconds - together, if I remember correctly. The c/locking works every time though. I've put new batteries in and done a re-sync etc, all to no avail. As I said, if I use the flat emergency key it all works fine 100% of the time. Could it be the two main keys are both in need of replacement ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not a key issue at all, if the car unlocks then the keys are fine, more like a mirror or alarm fault

OP
G

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Not a key issue at all, if the car unlocks then the keys are fine, more like a mirror or alarm fault

Thanks as always Malcolm. However, I simply don't understand how it can be 100% perfect using the flat emergency key which I've used for 2 weeks now, yet it failed this morning using one of the "proper" keys. As soon as I used the flat key again it was fine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If locking with the remote key fob, then this arms the alarm / immobilizer .

If you unlock with the metal key in the door lock the alarm should still be set

I am not sure what this emergency thing is that you have

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom