w202 auto transmission problems

mishal

Reaction score
Dear All,

any suggestions for the following problem will be much appreciated.

My c180 (w202) seems to have a problem with auto transmission. When i start her in the morning the car gets stuck in gear 1/2 untill the engine has got to running temperature around (80C) at which the transmission problems go away and the car changs up and down as normal. Ive recently ( 4 months) had the battary replaced, and ive noticed the problems since then (im not sure if there is any conncetion).

could it be a gear box faliure? from looking on the net it seems unlikley that it would be, but every car is unique

the car is a 98 plate with 80,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

Mishal

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car is normal and it does this to warm up the CAT as fast as possible.

If the car has never had an fluid change, then why not have that done at around £160 from an indie

OP
M

mishal

Reaction score
Hi Malcom,

Thanks for the reply. By fluid you mean "auto transmisson fluid"? I dont think its been replaced before. I dont they check it on services do they? i had it serviced 9 month back by an indie.

The sticky gears have got progressivly worst over the last month. is there a way i can check the fluid myself before i go to the garage? or is it complicated?

kindest regards

Mishal

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcom,

Thanks for the reply. By fluid you mean "auto transmisson fluid"? I dont think its been replaced before. I dont they check it on services do they? i had it serviced 9 month back by an indie.

The sticky gears have got progressivly worst over the last month. is there a way i can check the fluid myself before i go to the garage? or is it complicated?

kindest regards

Mishal

The gearbox fluid change should improve it, it has never been a service thing, and now we say do it every 40k miles.

Many use a piece of curtain wire to make a dip stick,, when hot and in D it should be 5.6 cm up the wire

OP
M

mishal

Reaction score
ok thanks, ill check it out this week and if it need changing ill get it done and report back.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
The gearbox fluid change should improve it, it has never been a service thing, and now we say do it every 40k miles.

Many use a piece of curtain wire to make a dip stick,, when hot and in D it should be 5.6 cm up the wire

it might even have a dipstick as its a w202. not sure when they were deleted

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it might even have a dipstick as its a w202. not sure when they were deleted

The 772.6 was never supplied with a dip stick, just the drain plug thing that was completely phased out by 09 99

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Is the battery big enough for the car? The problem you describe is one I usually see a lot in the colder months. After start the battery voltage is too low, and causes the gearbox ecu to go into limp. If you run the car for 2 mins and then switch off and start again does the problem go away? I would be tempted to try another battery and see what happens...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the battery big enough for the car? The problem you describe is one I usually see a lot in the colder months. After start the battery voltage is too low, and causes the gearbox ecu to go into limp. If you run the car for 2 mins and then switch off and start again does the problem go away? I would be tempted to try another battery and see what happens...

Very good point uncle Benz, these starting blips as the are called can and do give errors on the highly complex electronic circuits

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would take the hit and buy the dipstick rather than mess about with curtain hooks.

They cost £36 now,thats if you can get a dealer to sell you one

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Where abouts are you. Friendly local member may have a dipstick you can use, saves you buying something you may only use once or twice. Bought mine off ebay a couple of years ago cost about £26 then.

OP
M

mishal

Reaction score
hi guys, just read these comments.
im going to go to the car this lunch and try the suggestions of turning her off after two mins to see if the problem persists.

on start up the (in Park mode) the car is reving at 15 instead of below 10 that it normally would do. when i Rev the engine it struggles to get past 2000 revs, after a minitue or so its back to "normal" an i rev the car upto 4000.

cheers for the tips

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi guys, just read these comments.
im going to go to the car this lunch and try the suggestions of turning her off after two mins to see if the problem persists.

on start up the (in Park mode) the car is reving at 15 instead of below 10 that it normally would do. when i Rev the engine it struggles to get past 2000 revs, after a minitue or so its back to "normal" an i rev the car upto 4000.

cheers for the tips

Reading this I am thinking that the engine power is down,if it is the gear box will not know what to do and this can make it hang on to the low gears as well

OP
M

mishal

Reaction score
The plot thickens!

i was driving to work on monday morning and the car was jsut not behaving correctly. i could not go over 40mph on the motorway! i pulled over turned the car off and started her up again thinking the car was in limp mode, but the same problem occured, I looked an idot driving up to a top spead of 40 on the hard shoulder on the M3. enoght was enough i called the RAC for recovery and they took me to my garage.

he did a diagonostic, which reported misfire on all cylinders! After a few other checks, he ruled out a faulty gearbox and has said it was a faulty MAF!!!! he has repalced it im picking the car up ths afternoon to ill let you guys know how it goes. total cost was £230.

any views on this form anyone?

i thought id put it up just inaces others have similar problems.

Mish

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The MAF is well known,,I guessed that the engine power was down,,funny that we tell hundreds to try the MAF, but not in this case,,so sorry

OP
M

mishal

Reaction score
ive just pricked the car up and took it for a spin, its drive very well indeed. The car is extremly responsiv.
thanks for all the usefule l coments!

MOT in a few months so i hope there are not any surprises.

Mish

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom