W202 boot wont open with key

Andyi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport W202
My W202 key has a button to open the boot.
This function did work when i bought the car but recently has stopped working.
The car battery did go flat and could possibly have been since then that it stopped working.
Anyone have any ideas??

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Test each of the three buttons while viewing the end of the key through a digital camera, example below with a different key.

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My W202 key has a button to open the boot.
This function did work when i bought the car but recently has stopped working.
The car battery did go flat and could possibly have been since then that it stopped working.
Anyone have any ideas??

If the key fob unlocks the car it will not be a key fault,,,have you locked the boot with the key at any point in time,,, when you push the button, can you feel anything move, will it unlock from in the car

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
I assume from you description that you can still open the boot with the internal release in the console? My lock failed the other week and I could not open the boot at all.

J

jetjockey

A friends E Class W211 went like this six months ago.
We opened the boot using the metal part of the key.
The fault turned out to be broken wiring in the loom by the boot hinge.
To be precise the earth return had snapped right through.

Some quick resoldering and bingo, fixed!!

Good luck.

drivemycar816

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
I don't know if this is a general issue when battery gets flat. Mine had this case a last month and had to ask my bro for some help in order to open the boot. Fixed.

CafeMB

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S320 CDI
Check if the vacuum pump can be heard going when you press the button to release and open the bootlid. If not, use the key in the lock to open the boot up. It may be that the locking mechanism has failed and therefore needs to be replaced. There is a locking lever which is the weak link in the lock and this breaks from the attachment which means although the vacuum pump pulls the broken lever cant release the lock and the bootlid stays closed.

OP
A

Andyi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport W202
Right, here are my findings.

I had a kenwood DVD/TV that i fitted a few months ago.
I hard wired this so it had constant power (so i can remove the key and the unit continues to play).
I never noticed that since the time i fitted this things started to go wrong.
I removed the unit on Friday because im fed up of having to close the screen to get at the heater controls and its more gimiky than good.
Anyway, the boot now opens with the button on the key. Also, i started another thread about my wipers and heaters staying on when the key was removed.
This has also gone back to normal.
Im no electrician, all it was was a screen, hideaway unit and navagation which are wired to each other but somehow, somewhere i must have crossed my wires.

Top Bottom