W202 c180 auto stuck in first gear...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will need to install "adobe reader" it is free and it installs its self,,I cannot send out in any other form

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Managed to open the email on another pc, can you explain to me in lamens terms what it means, sorry if i seem dumb:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The first thing you do is to change the brake lamp switch,, this only cost £10 then for rest do check the OVP relay if things do not com back to life then plugging into STAR is the only way

You can read on that document where it tells you that the nox will be locked up and the codes for it

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
The first thing you do is to change the brake lamp switch,, this only cost £10 then for rest do check the OVP relay if things do not com back to life then plugging into STAR is the only way

You can read on that document where it tells you that the nox will be locked up and the codes for it
Malcolm you are a star, is the brake lamp switch an easy job and is it a main dealer part. I have visually checked the OVP and it looks fine, shoud i take it aprt and spray some switch cleaner on it??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No,,must be replaced this is your cheapest option to start with,, just remove the kick panel under the dash and the switch fits to the top of the brake pedal, dead easy to change.

If things are still the same after then some voltage checks could be next on the list

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now I know what your problem is and we know that the last owner has been trying to cover up the ABS fault , the first thing to do is to get the ABS system working again, as the speed sensor contróls the speedo and the gear box.

We do not know at this stage if he has blown anything else on the ABS system

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Ok, new brake lamp switch fitted, no change, all still the same. Will it be ok to take the OVP off of my other car as i know ths is ok. Also where does the speedo get it's signal from, is one of the two front wheel sensors.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The brake lamp switch could have been the original fault, and the last owner did not know that,, the speed signal comes from the ABS ECU and I need to check on some voltages that you can test, and will try and do this later tonight

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
The brake lamp switch could have been the original fault, and the last owner did not know that,, the speed signal comes from the ABS ECU and I need to check on some voltages that you can test, and will try and do this later tonight
Ok malcolm, and once again thanks for all your efforts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The speedo takes the speed from one of the two front wheels sensors via the ABS ECU, this also feed the signal to the gear box.I am sending one more paper,,some how you must check both sensors and the voltage going to the ECU and the pump.

The new brake lamp switch must be left in or every thing is meaning less, this blanks CAN signals that you cannot measure without instruments

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
The speedo takes the speed from one of the two front wheels sensors via the ABS ECU, this also feed the signal to the gear box.I am sending one more paper,,some how you must check both sensors and the voltage going to the ECU and the pump.

The new brake lamp switch must be left in or every thing is meaning less, this blanks CAN signals that you cannot measure without instruments
Ok Malcolm, i have got the paper. It looks very complex to me. I have a good friend who has test equipment, so we will give it a go over the weekend.

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related, and i probably should have mentioned it before, the brake pad warning light is on and also the red parking brake light stays lit after releasing the brake.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The parking brake on lamp has nothing to do with this, neither has the brake wear lamp,,if you turn on the ignition, and the pad wear indicator comes on without you having touched the foot brake, the the one before you has been having fun and games with the cluster or else where

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Yes, the brake pad wear light comes on without me touching the pedal, if this is not related then i can look at that another time. I am going to do the voltage tests later today, if it stops raining.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re the pad warning lamp, just remove the two front sensors from the brake pads, if the lamp is still on,,then the fault will be in the cluster i think, now the snag is if a ground part of the PCB within the cluster has been damaged, you will not know when you have solved the ABS as the lamp will be not giving the correct information

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Ok, will do that, also i can get the car transported to a local indie fairly cheaply for a star diagnostic, will this show up all of the problems.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, will do that, also i can get the car transported to a local indie fairly cheaply for a star diagnostic, will this show up all of the problems.

STAR will not show up all of these faults in the cluster.

First remove the sensor wires completely from the from brakes, then this will eliminate any fault there, if the brake wear lamp is still on the a replacement cluster from a breaker would be the cheapest way to go, there are plenty around

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Ok will do, i suppose i could swap the cluster from my other car to confirm this.

OP
E

ernspurs

Reaction score
Update: could not remove the bolt holding the brake pad plug out, so i unplugged the plug where the wheel sensor and brake pad are on the inner wing, turned ignition on and warning light still on. I sprayed some switch cleaner on the plugs and sockets and switched the ignition on, the light went out for about 7 seconds and then came on again. Just tried the cluster from my other car and the same thing happened, but the esp light also came on and when i checked the original cluster the esp bulb was missing, i have put a new bulb in and put the cluster back so now i have abs, esp, lights on aswell as brake pad warning light and red parking brake light.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
cluster could be a battery fault. mine had a faulty battery and the cluster used to do all kinds of wierd stuff!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom