W202 C200 Rear Headrest vacuum switch

Newtomerc

Reaction score
The operating switch for the rear headrest 'drop down' has suddenly decided to give up the job. Is there any way I can manually drop the headrests as they impair my vision on reversing from my garage and it'll be some time before I can book the car in for investigation of the fault?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Try continually holding the switch for 30 or more seconds.

Dec

OP
N

Newtomerc

Reaction score
Dec, thank you for your prompt reply. I popped out and tried holding the switch down as suggested but with negative results. Is there anything else you think I should try? I would have thought MB would have provided some form of manual overide..........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have some details on this system, and I will come back to it

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Dec, thank you for your prompt reply. I popped out and tried holding the switch down as suggested but with negative results. Is there anything else you think I should try? I would have thought MB would have provided some form of manual overide..........

No that’s my only suggestion however mine don’t work on the first try after infrequent use but I have noticed that if I use them on a regular basis, the work fine so I put it down to loss of vacuum over time, hence my suggestion, play around a bit more with the switch when you are driving, maybe there is a fault so take note of what the rest of the lads are saying.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For now I can send you a paper on removing them, I need an Email address

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sent via Email

OP
N

Newtomerc

Reaction score
Dec, since your last reply, each time I have gotten into the car and started the engine, I have held the switch down for a minute or two. Whilst driving, have touched the switch on numerous occasions; Results....ZILCH!
Today was the day I was due to visit my friendly MB dealership in Colchester for a solution to the problem. Guess what? On the way over to the workshop, I touched the switch and the resounding 'thump' of the headrests hitting the parcel shelf frightened the s**t out of me. I set up the headrests three times en route and they fell down at the first touch of the switch.On the final successful attempt, I turned the car round and went back home.......no doubt saving myself a hundred quid. Some gremlin residing under the back seats must be taking the p**s!

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Try continually holding the switch for 30 or more seconds.

Dec

Sorry for my misinformation, what I should have said above was to repeat touch the switch for 30 seconds, each touch triggers what sounds like a relay, tried my own after my last post and again had the same problem as yourself but I cured it in the same way and the now works ok again. Thanks for the feed back.

Dec

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Well what goes around comes around

Guess what I'll be pressing repeatedly on the way home tonight. I had given up trying to get them down and got used to them being pointing skywards all the time. Lets hope it works for me too.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It might be something to do with the motion/vibration of the car, I find if you don’t use them regularly, the don’t work, if you do use them regularly, the do work fine, very odd.

Dec

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom