w202 c230 driver side door lock dosn't work !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your confirmation that this is normal for using the Mechanical Key ! Gonna have a good night sleep tonight !

Shall try to look for these Caps !

To be honest, I rather pay the 35 pounds per every 12 years than remind myself using the key to open up the door every Sunday ! LOL !!!!

Bernard

Well we have learnt a lot from your thread, and I agree that its easier to do it again in 10 years time, with some PTFE sprayed in it will never go wrong

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Glad you got it sorted, the blanking cap that Malcolm mentioned, is MB Pt. No. A 210 766 0056.
You might consider buying two of them, one the door lock and one for the boot lock, as these corrode up even worse than the door locks.
I have used graphite powder as a lock lubricant.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
After reading Bernard post I thought I would have a go at my own boot lock, same problem as Bernard, key will go into lock but won’t turn either way.

Same cause too, oxidization as you can see below. All now cleaned up and working like a new. Now if my boot lock was that bad, I wonder what’s the passenger door lock is going to be like as it gets even less use.

Dec

LockRust.jpg

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hey Dec can you show how you got it out, i'd like to try the same on mine someday ....

boot lock wont turn but passenger side will

cheers
anyweb

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Dec,
Is this key barrel still usable after the removal?
As anyweb, how did you remove the lock barrel from the boot latch?
I have 2 to do, :cry:

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If anyone would like the paper on removing the boot lock on a 202 please ask

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Anyweb, I took pictures as I went so as to do a DIY and also as a record of how to get every thing back the way it all came out, will post in a week or two.

Andy The barrel is useable, the whole lock is back to new and in full working order. If you need any further info, urgently, let me know

Malcolm, don’t need a paper, that would take away the challenge.

Regarding lubrication the only thing I used was grease, aluminum I think, “rusts” just like iron and steel, its in the metal, so no mater what you use it will eventually come back.

Dec

Edit; The Graphite powder, never heard of that before.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most damage takes place Dec due to the different metals used, and the differences are shown in voltaic tables, just add a little moisture and the corrosion starts.

Your picture says it all.

It has been said that A glass of Coke will dissolve the corrosion and so will milk

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I,m in no hurry to do it, so if your going to post a "how to" i can wait till then many thanks.

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202 C230 Kompressor
Malcolm, if you would mentioned milk / coke may loosen up the rust in the barrel earlier, I will try it and at least I can drink the USED milk / coke afterward ! Thanks for you big help !

Dec, what a surprise in your image, it is amazing how badly rusted the barrel was, but now, you clean it up and it is good as new. I agree that since you take everything apart and it is good to use the grease to lubricate all the links, this is, I believed, the good and old fashion way !

I will work on the boot lock later on. It is good now but……

Thanks all

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It is good now but……

…if the central locking or pump ever fail and the lock is seized your in big trouble, same applies to whichever door you have a lock on.

Bernard, one question for you, am I right in thinking that Pin 1 in your picture goes all the way through the barrel and is punched straight out to release the inner barrel?

Dec

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
…if the central locking or pump ever fail and the lock is seized your in big trouble, same applies to whichever door you have a lock on.

Yes, I agree on that !

Bernard, one question for you, am I right in thinking that Pin 1 in your picture goes all the way through the barrel and is punched straight out to release the inner barrel?

Dec

Hi Dec,

As I leave the lock Barrel to the Locksmith to do it, I'm not 100% sure. I can't see anything change in colour in pin no 2 & 3 while for pin 1, both ends look bright and shinny and that lead me to think that he just punch out the whole pin and open the cover of the lock barrel !

May be Malcolm can help you out on this question !

Bernard

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Dec,

Just called the Locksmith and he confirm that all you have to do is to punch the Pin#1 out, it is a straight one piece pin and then you can take the lock barrels out !

Hope that help !

Bernard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats handy to know,,this info is no longer given from MB

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
of course, they want to rip us off !

Bernard

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Bernard, thanks for taking the trouble to call, indeed MB would never take the lock barrel apart when the can replace with new, but of course the are guaranteed a good result, at the owners expense.

Dec

OP
B

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Dec, you are welcome ! Yes, of course, they are going to sell ( the Lock Barrel is an exclusive item from dealers only ) us the expensive new parts Plus their expensive labour as well ( at least most of them is doing that ) !

Bernard

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom