W202 C250TD Temp over 80C

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
Guys

My c250 td coolent temp rises above 80C. Doesnt go beyond 90C. Ive noticed there is a sticker near the Rad stating 80C is the running temp.....

Also when it goes over 80 and i then turn the heaters on it will drop down to the 80 mark and stay there, turn the heater off it starts to rise again....

could the rad cap or thermostat have some problem.....?? or am I just wrong about the whole thing and its normal????

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The thermostat opens at 80º c and the visco fan will turn onto full power just after this temp.

Its possible the the visco fan clutch has worn out,,run the engine up to the 90ºc and carefully feed a carrot into the blades of the fan, if it stops the visco is U/S if it chops it up, then its fine and enjoy the salad for tea.

I fht e fan is OK then maybe flushing out the rad may help

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The fans fine already had a nice chopped carrot

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i wouldnt worrry about it too much. if i remember right, they have an electric one as well that cuts in at a higher temp. my c250 TD used to get above 80 regularly (i did give it some stick though) and during town trips after a long run my e300TD often sees 90 degrees without problem, only using 1 of its 2 electric fans to keep things nice and cool!

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Early signs of a dying thermostat (or a choked radiator).
The heater helping it to cool is the giveaway since to the most part the stat only throtles the water to the radiator, stats usually fail just when the car is needed or in use. The fan only realy helps cooling when traveling at lower speed or the guts are being trashed out of it.

If it were mine I would change stat, cap and coolant for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>My c250 td coolent temp rises above 80C. Doesnt go beyond 90C.

That sounds absolutely perfect to me, your car is not overheating.

I would make sure that the cooling system is well serviced, probably changing the coolant every 2 years, but, beyond that, I see no reason to be concerned.

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks guys.....it goes a little over 80 and when were lucky enough to have hot weather it gets closer to 90. i'll get the coolent changed as its not been done for 3 years.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom