w202 elecric aerial

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 sport,mercedes c200 elegance
since i have my car the aerial didnt work,so i decided to take a look at it,it looks like its a replacement part,the aerial itself only has 3 wires coming from it black is earthed to body,and theres a green and red wire,and from the original aerial wires theres three, blue and white,brown and red and purple
heres some pics,which wires go where

Attachments

• new pictures 472.jpg
    new pictures 472.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 45

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
looks like an aftermarket aerial to me. i seem to remember that theres a permanent live feed and a switched live feed and 2 earths on the OE aerials and only 1 earth on the aftermarket types. does the aerial motor run when the radio is switched on?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There are many ways of doing this,,some antenna's use a relay built in that puts the mast up when the 12volt is applied and take the mast down when the 12volt is turned off

OP
japimport

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
looks like an aftermarket aerial to me. i seem to remember that theres a permanent live feed and a switched live feed and 2 earths on the OE aerials and only 1 earth on the aftermarket types. does the aerial motor run when the radio is switched on?

the aerial motor was disconnected as in the picture.thats the way i found it,i wired the aerial up to the battery and it works fine,because there is only two wires coming from the aerial, and three coming from the original wiring,i dont know what goes where

OP
japimport

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are many ways of doing this,,some antenna's use a relay built in that puts the mast up when the 12volt is applied and take the mast down when the 12volt is turned off

i have another aerial on my donor car,and i can see what you mean about the relay built in,the one i have has no relay on it just the two wires and an earth to the body,the aerial on the donor car was snapped in half by someone,so i cant use that

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If there are only 2 wires coming from the antenna then one way round will put it up and reversing the wires will put it down, is this the way that it works,,Or is the ground one connection and one wire puts it up and the other takes it down again

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
i have another aerial on my donor car,and i can see what you mean about the relay built in,the one i have has no relay on it just the two wires and an earth to the body,the aerial on the donor car was snapped in half by someone,so i cant use that

We really need a picture of the existing ariel and the wires coming from it.
The “other” ariel from the doner car, if its original and in working order, would be a better bet , you could then replace the broken mast with a new one.

Dec

OP
japimport

japimport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks dec ill give it a go tommorow,ill take some pics for future reference

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If you wind up using the existing aerial, you could attempt to connect the wires from the radio in a hit and miss fashion …you may blow a few fuses, but that’s what the are there for anyway … there cant be any more than two or three possible ways of connecting the radio wires up to the aerial

There will be a fuse in the back of the radio, another fuse for the radio in the fuse box under bonnet and a fuse for the antenna motor in the boot.

Also, there are two live wires that go to the back of the radio, one is live all the time, it feeds the radio code memory. The other live is only live when the ignition is on, turning the radio on or off at the radio button feeds the aerial motor which raising or lowering the mast.
Turning the radio off by removing the keys from the ignition will leave the aerial mast extended.

Dec

Top Bottom