W202 electrics problem - help!

Peterhough

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 C200 Elegance auto
C200 Elegance auto 1997

I have had an escalating series of electrical problems.

First symptom was an intermittently working blower. No pattern to it failing - sometimes worked straight away, other times came on unexpectedly during journey. Other times would not work at all and is now constantly off.

At the same time, passenger front window would only go down if rear door window switch was activated at the same time. Window would not go down on own switch.

Window is now stuck in down position, no clicking from window motor, no combination of window switch activation will shift it. Other three windows, sunroof, all other electrics work fine. Except ...

Intermittent wipe shows same symptoms as blower, except continues to work intermittently or comes on unexpectedly. Had a new stalk recently to cure different problem and everything worked fine for months after that.

I'm at my wit's end with this. Checked all fuses. Is there anything common to these three systems (but then why would three windows work and one not??)

Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the heater blower the carbon brushes have worn out,,you can get replacement from Ebay, the reason why it would start up on a drive was the incoming air forced the fan to turn and start.

The motor in the rear door is at fault I would think re the windows

A bad connection in the wiper relay could explain that

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
Re the heater blower the carbon brushes have worn out,,you can get replacement from Ebay, the reason why it would start up on a drive was the incoming air forced the fan to turn and start.

The motor in the rear door is at fault I would think re the windows

A bad connection in the wiper relay could explain that

as above is what i would have said

you may get a second hand window motor from a scrap yard keep the cost s down
if you need to get the window up remove door card and put it up by hand or put a direct feed to the motor

the wiper issue is a common one on older w202 they just wear out

and the bushes can be bought on ebay a few quid and fitted look on line like you tube for a video or how to on this topic

i know when a lot of small things start it can get annoying but tackle one job at a time and you will get their

OP
P

Peterhough

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 C200 Elegance auto
Thanks guys - this may be a daft question but is the door lining easy enough to get off?

Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would you like the instruction

OP
P

Peterhough

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 C200 Elegance auto
That would be great, thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Email address please you can edit it out in a few mins

OP
P

Peterhough

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 C200 Elegance auto
Thanks

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK and sent, you can edit out your address

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom