w202 induction kit is it worth it??

Sunil_B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202 BLUE with 18inch AMG 5spoke lowered on ebiach springs now looking to get cream leathers
i am looking to put an induction kit on my mercedes but before i do just wanted to find out the views on if its worth it or not and if any one else on this fourm has done so before and the pro and con's of it

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Not for me, but ....

I would not recommend this sort of thing, unless you are referring to a top-class tuning option that's likely to cost 1000s.

I once tried a K&N filter and noticed zero difference aside from a change in sound.

My view is that MB has engineered things pretty well as original and that to do better you're into big budgets. Possible cheaper to buy something bigger in these economic times.

My 2 cents worth.

RayH

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
x2 - Don't do it.

I know this might sound odd, but, have you considered some advanced driver training? It's an improvement that;

- will help you make good safe progress
- may help reduce insurance premiums
- easily transferrable to any car you ever drive

OP
S

Sunil_B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 W202 BLUE with 18inch AMG 5spoke lowered on ebiach springs now looking to get cream leathers
il take that as a no then. i was just wondring what it would be like

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I bought a K&N filter to fit in the standard air box, though this was not to improve performance but to eliminate replacement as they are lifetime guarenteed (if maintained according to instructions) I found no significant performance increase though it was slightly more economical. They are rumoured to wreck the MAF through oil contamination which i believe is from people who have over oiled the filter when cleaning it. Though others may disagree, but i can only talk from experience, my car has been running with the K&N for well over 70,000 miles and i have,nt replaced the MAF as yet.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Its worth it for £75 but dont expect too much on power an as Andy said, dont over oil it when you clean it

OP
S

Sunil_B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
can i put the cone one on it insted of the panel fliter for example this one
http://www.potn.co.uk/p1505282.htm and could anyone please post a link of the one which willfit my model which is the w202 c180 99reg saloon.

thanks

sunil

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I dnt think it will work. Our cars work slightly differnt than regular cars and cant handle these kind of filters. Having said that, this link is showing kit for CLK but I am struggling to find out how it will fit. I wouldnt really have that on a Merc though. Mercs arent sport cars and dont need to have a roar of induction kit. Best start away

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
also the link shows 2.0i 16v, I am not sure if that is an actual Merc engine.

OP
S

Sunil_B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that sound unhealthy thanks for pointing that out to me. so basicly if i do it its more hassle than what its worth

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
K& N filters ...

Save your cash.

Er, that's it!

RayH

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Air intake passing the MAS must be dry, hence why MB use dry filter set up.

Oli lubed filters will cause a problem. You will always get oil mist. This is basic stuff. Dont go there.

I don,t doubt what you say but can only speak from my personnal experience (see my previous post on this thread).
But how can the induction system be dry when the oil/crankcase breather is recirculated back into the Induction trac? Or have I misunderstood the operation of the crankcase breather system?

retro w124 w210

Reaction score
Cone

I have a cone filter and induction pipe for my w210 320 v6, runs fine faster pick up from the lights etc and does sound nice, if you do go for one dont spend to much, its not worth it you wont gain much power tbh.

OP
S

Sunil_B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a cone filter and induction pipe for my w210 320 v6, runs fine faster pick up from the lights etc and does sound nice, if you do go for one dont spend to much, its not worth it you wont gain much power tbh.

could you please give me the details of where you got it from

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Factory air intakes normally have a scoop at the front of the grill to take in more air. The faster you go, the more air is scooped up and the better the engine breathes.
I'm not sure about mercs but I do remember my Ford suddenly going really flat on the motorway. I pulled over at the services and had a poke around. I found the scoop pipe had come adrift from the filter housing so the engine was breathing from inside the engine bay instead. Reattached the pipe and it was back to normal.
MB engine bays are well sealed so it wouldn't surprise me if the air pressure behind the headlights (where a cone filter would sit) was lower than outside when at speed. Round town i'd imagine it would make little difference but on a run I could see this mod being detrimental to both performance and economy.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>Reattached the pipe and it was back to normal.

It's more likely that by being loose the pipe was coinstricted in some way, or, perhaps collapsing when running.

The ram effect of a forward facing air intake is so tiny as to be utterly negligible until you are doing about 200 mph, or, equivalently, a MAch number of about 0.25.

Back to the OP's question - If the engine is otherwise as standard, there cannot be any significant gain to be had by fitting one of these noisy and technically dubious filters (when tested using SAE test methods, these filters perform quite poorly in terms of the particles they allow to pass when compared with standard air filters).

The thing people forget is that the engineers who design engines tend also to be car enthusiasts - they would not set out to undo the good work they've done in designing the gas flow through the engine, the computational fluid dynamics analyses they've done to optimise the port shape, the gas dynamics they've done to design the manifold, by fitting a needlessly restrictive induction system and air filter. That these parts are needlesly restrictive is a myth peddled by the vendors of these inferior filters.

PJayUK

Reaction score
Wont make a noticeable difference imho....

Put one on my Subaru Impreza STi and ran it on a dyno. There was less than .7bhp difference.

Waste of money, fit nitrous or upgrade the car if you need more power!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I tried one on my V70R years ago,, the noise was bad enough, I will give it free to anyone who would like it

Arkonite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w215 2001 CL500
been there done that got old

Many many years ago when i first started driving me and all the other guys were fitting K+N 's and the like, to be honest all we ever got was more noise and an empty wallet. My ford Capri 1600gt sounded great, today my little C180 would blow the arse out of a 70's capri. So i ask myself what was the point.

To the original poster, save up the money you WILL spend [but dont spend it] getting filters, lowering and the like, buy a Merc with a larger engine, but budget for the increased insurance premium, remember even an increase of a half a grand on your insurance alone will still work out less than spending hundreds and hundreds on your C180 to make it sound better and go not much faster, The C180 is a damn fine car, classy with a smooth ride it has an aura as do all mercs, that aura is shattered when you hear a sooking growling one pass you. they just dont do that.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom