W202 Instrument panel speedometer sticks at 0mph

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
OK I asked as it might have helped :D

I think the model I have is nearly base, if there is such a thing, no sunroof, no headlamp wash wipe, no heated/electric/memory seats, it has leather, ac,disc player in the boot,electric mirrors,rear headrests either manual or don't park using the button on the dash, happy days;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think the model I have is nearly base, if there is such a thing, no sunroof, no headlamp wash wipe, no heated/electric/memory seats, it has leather, ac,disc player in the boot,electric mirrors,rear headrests either manual or don't park using the button on the dash, happy days;)

Yes many bought the base model but in your case leather and some other bits, they are a very nice motor car and much loved

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
Yes many bought the base model but in your case leather and some other bits, they are a very nice motor car and much loved

I've always loved the pillarless coupes they are a very pretty car,IMHO of course.

B

Benzfox

That post is too old to get an answer from. Welcome to the forum, I take it that you have the same problem

I have indeed but there is enough excellent info here for me to get it sorted. I took the cluster out today without the need to remove the steering wheel and with some homemade hooks. I will start cleaning the pins in the next hour or so. Thanks for the welcome :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have indeed but there is enough excellent info here for me to get it sorted. I took the cluster out today without the need to remove the steering wheel and with some homemade hooks. I will start cleaning the pins in the next hour or so. Thanks for the welcome :D

Good luck you should find it all OK after that :D:D

joneseythedog

Reaction score
Dear All

I'm having this problem too, but need a little further advice:

I had the instrument panel out some time ago to replace the speedo bulb, and thought I'd clean the pins to fix the sticking. Couldn't find any way of getting the front off, however, and was too afraid of destroying the unit to persist for long.

Wife now won't drive the car, as the rev counter is also sticking leaving us with no way of gauging speed. Am certain it is a physical sticking problem, as once freed, the rev counter is ok for the journey, whereas the speedo will stick again after stopping. The odometer works OK throughout.

Have I missed something, or are some of these units glued together?
Car is a 1995 C180.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Seeing it in its open state may help.

There are 3 Clips/fasteners on the top, 2 on the bottom and 1 on each end. 7 in total.

Yours is the same as the one pictured. Not glue together but fiddley to take apart.

Dec

ClusterOpen.jpg

L

LeeR2939

Easier way to unstick your speedo, tacho etc.

Having read all of the posts here about resolving this problem I wasn't looking forward to removing the steering wheel with an airbag (not done one with bag before). Having a long think about it, I saw that there is quite a gap around the mileage re-set/clock dimmer knob. A paper clip unwound and almost straight will fit through the gap and it is possible to lift the fuel guage pointer by giving it a little push upwards. I then turned my attention to the speedo needle. I was surprised just how much force the needle was stuck by and then....aargh, the speedo needle flew over the top of the clock so that it was now pointing straight down! :shock: This is going to be a pain, were my next thoughts, along with a few anglo-saxon terms but when I switched the ignition off the needle calmly made it's own way back to zero...Result! :D Now the speedo is behaving itself although it sometimes still sticks at low speeds but registers the speed when I get to about 10-15 mph but I can live with that. If this keeps happening then I may use the same method to smear a bit of something non-stick on the stop pin to stop it happening again. Hope this is useful to somebody...keep up the good work everyone!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom