w202 jumpstart gone wrong - have i killed the altenator ?

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
thanks a lot for the video link it is giving me confidence to give it a go, i'll try and do it tomorrow and report back (time willing)

Malcolm, do you know what the diodes are called in Swedish that i need ?

cheers
niall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
thanks a lot for the video link it is giving me confidence to give it a go, i'll try and do it tomorrow and report back (time willing)

Malcolm, do you know what the diodes are called in Swedish that i need ?

cheers
niall

I wished that you had not asked that Niall it is an awful word and for the life of me I cannot think what it is,, ledning means charging kolboste is carbon brush, regulator is the same as English ,,so is the word pack so maybe kolborstepack kolbosteregulator.

Alternator is a växelströmsgenerator

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I wished that you had not asked that Niall it is an awful word and for the life of me I cannot think what it is,, ledning means charging kolboste is carbon brush, regulator is the same as English ,,so is the word pack so maybe kolborstepack kolbosteregulator.

Alternator is a växelströmsgenerator
or just DIODE PACK said in a very loud voice...

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
update, today i removed the altenator, not too hard, disconnect the battery, remove the two screws holding it in (17 i think), then disconnect the two nuts holding in the wires, one will have a black plastic cover on it,

once done, loosen the belt and remove the alternator, then when its out remove the three screws holding the black plastic cover in place, and then release the three black plastic clips, the plastic cover will release and under that you will see the regulator, it is held in place with another two screws

remove them and test the regulator for current transfer using a multimeter, if theres no reaction its dead as a doornail (the diode is, which is the regulator which converts the AC current to DC to charge the battery),

it appeared that not only was mine dead but my brushes were worn nearly away, so i bought a new one for 33 quid approx, its a bosch part, fitted it, put everything back together and fired it up, seems to be working fine since then but only time will tell
thanks to all for their helpful advice on this

cheers
niall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have the car running again for very little cost,,and that is what this thread was all about, thanks for the update and good news

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
yeah i'm very pleased Malcolm and it was a learning experience for me :)

i'll post the bosch part number later as i still have the box

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
As with most car repairs, there isn't much to it once you get going. I'd say you saved yourself over £100 there.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As with most car repairs, there isn't much to it once you get going. I'd say you saved yourself over £100 there.

for Sweden x the price for labour by three,, ford in Stockholm charged £150 plus mons last year per hour,,god knows what MB charge

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
latest update, seems the regulator pack wasnt enough and it wasn't charging, so off to the scrootbil today and found a C180 from 1997 with an alternator still intact, we removed it, and put the new brushes into it and attached it to my car, and i'm very happy to say that it's working (and charging) just fine now,

i'm now very familiar with the process of changing the removing the altenator, replacing the regulator, and refitting of alternator after the event, so it's not a total loss, i do have my old altenator still now (i put the c180's regulator on that one), any idea what i should do with it (is it fixable ?)

cheers
niall

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
i would say its shot. there is probably something electrical fried in it. the regulators do commonly wear wout more than the actual alternator, but when you tried to jumpstart it i would say something inside was burnt out.

btw i had a peek at your car on the link on your sig and its a lovely colour..... havent seen one in that colour before i dont think!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe the load was too much and the wires on the slip rings came off, when a diode goes short circuit the current will pass into the windings. There are firms who re wire them and fit new slip rings

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It's also possible the rectifier diode pack has been fried as well.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i was under the impression that the diode pack is all part of the regulator ?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
i was under the impression that the diode pack is all part of the regulator ?
No, it's two separate parts.
I would be surprised at the windings suffering damage.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom