W202 Park Brake Query

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hi guys!

The park brake in my 1998 C250 Sport hasn't worked since I bought it. While the car was at an Indy getting the clear fuel lines changed I asked the mechanic to have a look at the mechanism and see if it needed adjusted. He told me that one of the cables had stretched to the point that it could not be adjusted.

Fair enough, I thought. Was just about to order the new cable this morning (MOT on Friday!), when I decided to go down and have a look under the rear seat (after reading a few posts on here).
Found that the two cables which, I'm guessing, go to the rear brakes were both detached from the pulley. Hooked them back up and BINGO! I have a working park brake.
I am however noticing that it only takes 2-3 clicks to completely apply it. Is this normal? I have attached a photo of the pulley system so you can have a look. It looks to me like the cable going to the passenger side brake is shorter than the right. Do I need to adjust something further?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys, this forum is genuinely brilliant and has helped me out loads recently :)

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Update:

Took the car for a spin. When I got back I applied the handbrake (pedal seems very firm and could only get one click). Released the handbrake and reversed slightly, noticed that it sounds as if the brake is sticking on. Took the car round the block, squeeling stopped once I was going forwards, although the park brake now seems harder to get on. Quite a struggle to get one click!

Do you think the mechanic possibly adjusted something at the wheels, without noticing the cables were not connected under the seat?
Any tips, or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
That nearside cable does look very tight.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Would I be right in thinking that to adjust it I have to take the rear wheels off, then use a flat screwdriver to adjust the brake shoe position?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I would think now the cable has been reattached the shoes have self adjusted. You probably just need to let some slack into the cable.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for all the questions, but do you know how I do that?
Have had a look in my Haynes manual and it doesn't seem to cover this. (Is it just me or have Haynes manuals dropped in quality in recent years? :) )

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Anybody got an Idea? Today is my last chance to try and fix this. Cheers.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would think now the cable has been reattached the shoes have self adjusted. You probably just need to let some slack into the cable.

No MB that I know has self adjusting parking brake shoes

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Thanks for the reply Malcolm. I jacked up the back of the car today, in N, park brake off, and although the wheels did turn freely it sounds like the pads are making very slight contact. Do you think I'm best backing the adjustment cog ( Sorry, I know that's not what it's called! ) in the rear hub off a couple of clicks using the screwdriver through the wheel bolt hole method?
Apologies for my lack of know-how , really do appreciate all this help very much!

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
EDIT: Just seen your response on the other post regarding brake adjustment. Thanks very much mate! Will try this in the morning :)

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I would check the cables as there is a significant imbalance in them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One can back off the shoes but that is wrong as the system loses it max holding on the parking brake, the adjustment might be on the equalizer cable,I cannot check till I look it up on WIS later

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hi guys, a wee update for you. Put the car in for its MOT and the Park Brake passed! Would still like to get a bit of slack in their though. I did get the following though;

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Front Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi guys, a wee update for you. Put the car in for its MOT and the Park Brake passed! Would still like to get a bit of slack in their though. I did get the following though;

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Front Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

Offside Front Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)

This examiner is in the wrong job. He should be doing "free diagnostic checks" for a dealership! ;)

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Do you think the springs are something I should be worried about? I'l try and get some photos of them this evening and post them on here. Are they the kinda thing that should need replacing after a certain mileage anyway? Expensive job?

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Just found out car was on Reg plate C8GPM up until a year ago, did it belong to anyone on here? Think it used to be in liverpool :)

cazyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C36 AMG
Do you think the springs are something I should be worried about? I'l try and get some photos of them this evening and post them on here. Are they the kinda thing that should need replacing after a certain mileage anyway? Expensive job?

Mine had it's MoT today. The examiner had already done a C180 w202 this morning with a broken front spring - the others were corroded. He said he's seen a few. Luckily mine are fine - have been replaced at some piont recently.

If I were you i'd think about getting them replaced over the next couple of months - rather than urgently.

Any good garage can replace springs. Or you can give it a go with the right tools.

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
I did it!!

Haha! Success!! Have finally managed to adjust the Park Brake tension!
What I did in the end was this;

- Insert an Allen Key into the part marked with the Green arrow in the photo.
- Turn Allen key about 90' Clockwise
- Gently push mechanism towards the rear of the car, pushing where the Red arrow is in the pic.
- Apply handbrake and release it a few times
- VOILA!! Working handbrake!

I now have about 6-7 clicks before the Brake is fully on, as opposed to 1-2 as it was beforehand. Again, massive thanks to everybody that helped me out here. Hope this information is useful to someone as I spent DAYS searching for an answer before giving up and just experimenting :)

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Oops! Forgot the photo!!

Attachments

• Park Brae.jpg
    Park Brae.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 149

john pen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 1996 1800cc
i want to say thanks for answering thecrookedvultur as now you helped me adjust my parking break as mot station said it was too many clicks.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom