W202 Rear Springs

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009, C220 CDI, SE Blue Efficiency, Estate
Ever since I bought the car a year ago, the rear suspension has been lower than I think it should be. So I've bought new springs from Mercedes and fitted them today. Now the back end sits even lower. Can anyone advise what part number springs I should be using?

Some details -
Chassis No. 202.193.2.F974657

Old springs colour code, one grey dot.

New springs colour code, 2 yellow and one silver/grey dots.
P/No. A202 324 31 04.

After market tow bar fitted.

TIA.

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
Ever since I bought the car a year ago, the rear suspension has been lower than I think it should be. So I've bought new springs from Mercedes and fitted them today. Now the back end sits even lower. Can anyone advise what part number springs I should be using?

Some details -
Chassis No. 202.193.2.F974657

Old springs colour code, one grey dot.

New springs colour code, 2 yellow and one silver/grey dots.
P/No. A202 324 31 04.

After market tow bar fitted.

TIA.

Esprit springs are a bit lower anyway?

Try classic or elegance springs to lift it a bit.

OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Esprit springs are a bit lower anyway?

Try classic or elegance springs to lift it a bit.

The problem with that would be the spring rates are so much softer they would be incompatible with the shock absorbers. Then the handling would be all wrong, (too much understeer if I remember the theory correctly).

I'm only trying to get the car to sit level, at present it sits 'nose up' so much that I have the headlamp adjuster on 2 clicks down to prevent the blinding of oncoming traffic.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
You can buy thicker top mounts, i,e the mount on the top of the spring, they go from 1 to 5. some 20-25 mm increase!

That will make her stand taller !!

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Because you have an aftermarket tow bar and associated framework fitted [+7points]I would suggest the following upgrade assuming your correct?? spring nos are 210 324 3104 and not 202 324 3104 as you stated????

CHART OF REAR SPRING RUBBER PADS SPORT CODE 653/956
==============================================================================================================================
TOTAL OF POINTS / REAR SPRING / PAD

-44 / 210 324 31 04 / 210 325 03 84[13mm]

uprate to
52-57 / 202 324 17 04 / 210 325 01 84[5mm]

Last edited:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
and of course the car may have had 2 new front springs in the past that were incorrect and therefore too long.

Are the front springs genuine or from a factor

OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is very interesting/confusing depending on ones state of mind.
Graeme - The new springs are definitely 202 324 31 04. All the paperwork and stores labels agree.
The spacers are 210 325 01 84 as used with the stronger springs.

David - That thought occurred to me also, but how can I tell the difference between genuine and pattern?

Update - I phoned the Mercedes dealer and gave them the information about the paint dot codes. They phoned back some hours later to say a different pair would arrive Wednesday, they would be stronger and more expensive but I could have them at the same price as the other ones. Which was reasonable in the circumstances.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I guess its possible that the spring starting with 210---- should read 202----- and that there's a misprint in the part nos. Either way it looks as if you ended up with the standard duty spring with the thinner pad for the [slightly longer] heavy duty spring combination . You could either change the pad to a thicker one with the original "new springs" or get the uprated [ and probably longer ] springs which is what Mercedes have done for you. Since you have that extra weight at the back with the tow bar that's the way to go. Sounds like a result under the circumstances hope this solves the problem.

Last edited:
OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess its possible that the spring starting with 210---- should read 202----- and that there's a misprint in the part nos.

It don't get any clearer. I've got the replacements now and the number is 210 324 31 04 with 2 yellow and 1 blue paint spots (previous ones, 2 yellow & 1 grey) so presumably Mercedes have added another spring and part number since the Russian site posted that information.

I'll fit them this weekend and see what happens. I've got a feeling that I'll end up telling the dealer to disregard what the points system tells them and get me a pair of no. 210 324 17 04.

One bit of good news, it passed the MOT yesterday.

type49

Reaction score
MB spring rates can be confusing but I have fitted many due to breakage & noticed 202, 203 & 210 are all the same (rears). "Same" being they will all fit each other but can, of course be different rates. However, 1 & 2 grey dots are by far the most common, which seems a bit unusual, because in theory Sport/Avantgard/Esprit should be different to Elegance but all models are failing rear springs. Either way, I would double check the springs you have just fitted with another dealer (nice of them to get you the second lot at the same price - as far as I know, they're all the same price anyway:rolleyes:). Check the front springs, & if all springs are correct, balance them out via the spring cups that sit above the springs (front & rear). The cups can be identified by the little "pips" or "nipples":Oops: that are moulded around them. Fronts have between 1 & 5, rears 1 & 4. 1 being thin, 5 being thick. The difference between 1 & 5 is about 1 inch.

Last edited:
OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yesterday afternoon, I fitted the new springs. They lowered the rear by 15 mm.!?!?! So, after dinner, I swapped them back again - it gets quicker every time!!!

While measuring 'before and after' heights I thought "why am I doing this, the back is slightly high which is what I want" then realised the fuel tank is nearly empty. When it gets filled tomorrow, the front will be pointing skywards again. Oh well...

Having carefully studied the Detali site, (I don't know about other browsers, but Safari doesn't tabulate the text properly so it takes a lot of interpreting), I'm convinced 'grober' has got the answer -

52-57 (points) / 202 324 17 04 (spring) / 210 325 01 84[5 mm] (spacer).

I've already got that spacer number fitted and I'm guessing that's the number of the existing springs, they are just a bit tired from a previous owner towing a caravan or boat to the Mediterranean.

So it's back to the dealer tomorrow.

ed325i

Reaction score
My 240 sport sits lower at the rear to.
I was just going to see if I could drop the front down to match.

OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David Williams suggested the front springs could be wrong, so on Sunday, I took a front wheel off and found one white spot on the spring. Does anyone know what part number that would be?

A suggestion to the moderators here - how about compiling a table of spring colour codes against their part numbers? I'll be able to start the ball rolling with at least 3 different ones soon!

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
springs do not work to colour codes.

The colours are just a manufacturing process 'thing'.

The only exceptions are (on my generation of car anyway) red bar and blue bar.

those mean a shorter verion of the same part number and the longer version of the same part number - blue being the longer version and red being the shorter version of the same part number.

OP
EDX

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The latest set of springs have arrived, P/No. 202 324 25 04 (2 grey, 1 white paint dots).
Looking at the Detali site, these springs and the existing (thinnest) spacers are correct in the chart headed "BM 202.193".

My question is, what does the "BM" stand for?

TIA.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom