W202 Rear window glass detached?

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Hi, my rear window has stopped working. I can hear the mechanism moving if I press the down button but the mechanism just seems to click off with the button in the up position. Also I can now just slide the glass up and down with my hand, like it has become detached from the mechanism which won't come up anymore.

Guess I need to strip the door and have a look but does anyone know if this is a common problem? Also is the mechanism rivited in on these cars; I've heard it is on some models?

Last edited:

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Not a common problem, sounds like someone has tried to open the window when we had the really cold weather. The window has gotten stuck to the window rubber seal and come away from the bracket that holds it to the mechanism.

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Turns out the cable has rusted through and snapped.

The whole lot is rivited in so thats pretty much it really; what a rubbish design; the worst I've ever seen. All other cars I have worked on have always had bolt-on mechanisms. I wedged the window up with wood and it can stay like it.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Drill through the rivets and replace the window regulator. You can use bolts if you want, or a rivet gun isnt expensive or hard to use.

The 210 has window regulators that go occasionally, its not that difficult to do.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... All other cars I have worked on have always had bolt-on mechanisms. I wedged the window up with wood and it can stay like it.

Plenty of fairly old cars have riveted in window mechanisms too. ;)

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Turns out the cable has rusted through and snapped.

The whole lot is rivited in so thats pretty much it really; what a rubbish design; the worst I've ever seen. All other cars I have worked on have always had bolt-on mechanisms. I wedged the window up with wood and it can stay like it.

There's a complete window mechanism for sale on ebay, havent checked which side its for yet, it'll be pretty common to get hold of due to the number being broken for parts.

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Yes, thanks. I realise it can be fixed but as it's only the rear window and hardly ever used I won't bother. The riveted-in mechanism while not impossible to work with, doesn't help and imho is a rather cheap and nasty arrangement that ought not to be on a Merc.

Top Bottom