W202 self locks

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
My W202 1997 C230 K has begun self locking, both when driving and after leaving the car after closing the door.
Once self locked, in order to open the car I have to press the remote twice in order for the door buttons to raise. I can hear the motor in the boot activating, but it does not continue to whir as if the pump is leaking.
When it self locks with no one in it it can be after 15 minutes or it can be within 5 secs.
If I am in the car and it has locked itself, just opening the door with the internal handle release all the doors.
The door lock button on the dash does not seem to be functioning at all.
I have tried to synch the remote to the car (rear view mirror) with no improvement.
Does this sound as though it needs a new pump unit in the boot, or is it a relay/contact/ problem.
Thanks for your help
Regards
DD

Last edited:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I think you should get your codes read on star, that will reduce the number of "guesses" required to fix this.

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Thanks Mark for your quick reply. I,m not sure I understand though. Do you mean take it to a garage and have it connected to one of their computer diagnostic machines. I was hoping to save the cost of that by an elimination process.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a process of elimination can be very costly. a quick STAR test should not be too costly and certainly a lot cheaper than replacing a PSE pump if its not needed.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
IIRC correctly the procedure to set the key to unlock all the doors or just the driver's is in the Owners Manual & I think the self locking procedure is to be found there too.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IIRC correctly the procedure to set the key to unlock all the doors or just the driver's is in the Owners Manual & I think the self locking procedure is to be found there too.

Self locking should only occur if the car is in motion, or if the doors were unlocked but not opened. The OP is seeing random locks. (I think)

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Mark,
If it is seeing random locks, what does the seeing, is it the pump unit in the boot, as you can get 2nd hand ones on the bay for (working?) for around £40.

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Decided, once the car was unlocked, to remove fuse 27 and dissable the central locking, and use the key only, but then it wouldn't start. untill I put the fuse back ?

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
If I put a new pump in, is it a straight swop or is there a synchronising proceedure ?

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
As a quick see if it works approach, try opening all doors and bot several time, just in case one lock is stuck in the lock position.

Worth a try.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Depending on spec of the vehicle you may have to get it coded, but for general routine options it should work.
I really think you should be looking at getting it properly diagnosed, as I,m pretty convinced the PSE pump is,nt your problem

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
David,
Thanks, a good suggestion. All the door locks seem to work OK. The boot however is locked/unlocked when the doors are, but I could not turn the key to lock/unlock the boot manually. I have removed the boot lock and taken apart down to the barrel, cleaned the muck off everything (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53189) so the levers all work freely, re assembley took me longer, and re fitted. After the key was synched to the rear view mirror I have left the car unlocked for 1 hour now and it has not locked itself. Will see what it is like in the morning.
Will let you know in a day or two. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for every ones help so far,
David D

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Back to square one this morning !!
Andy, going to change the pump for a "good" used one today (but I don't think its the pump either) and then will go to the Merc man with the diagnostic machine, as advised by you all, if still the same. At least I can now get into the boot with the key so something good has come out of this.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
where are you? perhaps there's a decent Indie near you.

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Mark,
I,m in Ringwood, and Keystone, an Indie, have always been very helpful. That is where I will get it plugged in when I have had enough fiddling.
I have just (1 hour ago) replaced the pump with one from the bay at £40 odd. It has been checked and is in apparently very good condition. The pumping cycle sounds slightly shorter than the original, and at the moment the car is still unlocked. Fingers crossed again !!!
If this doesn't work then off to Ringwood.
Will let you all know.
Thanks all again.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Mark,
I,m in Ringwood, and Keystone, an Indie, have always been very helpful. That is where I will get it plugged in when I have had enough fiddling.
I have just (1 hour ago) replaced the pump with one from the bay at £40 odd. It has been checked and is in apparently very good condition. The pumping cycle sounds slightly shorter than the original, and at the moment the car is still unlocked. Fingers crossed again !!!
If this doesn't work then off to Ringwood.
Will let you all know.
Thanks all again.

Just make sure they have the proper STAR diagnostics, as some generic code readers even the better quality ones may not read all the codes.
The nearest Indy I could recommend to you would be Peter at Pentangle in Totton (about a mile from my house).
Do post back what the results are as yours does seem to be rather a unique set of symptoms, good luck.

OP
D

DDOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
24 hours since the "new" pump went in and the car has not locked itself. I think we have solved the problem,
Thanks all
DD

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom