W202 wipers

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
I have replaced my wiper motor now and my linkage but the wipers still refuse to move, have I missed something, can it be a faulty stalk

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Stalk, fuse or relay is the only things left.

The relay is #2 in the picture, it should click every 5 seconds or so when the stalk wiper switch is turned to position 1 with ignition on.

Try a different fuse just in case.

Did you test the motor while it was unattached to the mechinasim to see if it was ok?

Did you PARK the motor before fitting , see post #4 here… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35032

Stalk, see… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=38617

Dec

attachment.php

OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
I didn't test the motor first, I check the fuse last week, but I didnt park the motor, would this stop it from working complelty when I switch on the wipers nothing happens, no clicking noise and no sign of life.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Completely disconnect the motor and plug it in and run the motor to determine if it is working properly on its own.

The working motor must be parked before it is connected to the mechanism at the balljoint
To park the motor;
=Turn it on at the stalk to any position and then turn it off AT THE STALK SWITCH
=Wait 2 seconds to allow the motor to finish its cycle THEN remove the keys from the ignition.
The motor is now parked

All you have to do now is fit the motor, ensure the arm at nut 2 is as is the first picture below.
If it is not then realign it by removing it as in third picture.
Make adjustments to the WIPER BLADE PARK position by slakening nut 1 as in second picture

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
Hi, I disconeted the motor and plug it in as per instuctions. The motor has not moved/rotated. The relay did click when the stalk was moved to the different postions. I have changed the fuse, No 13. I have noticed that in front of the fuse box there are colured wires going in to a black contector the green one is broken, is this conected to this problem do you think. Heeeelp :(

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I take it that what you mean by the back of the connector you mean the socket that the wiper plug connects into, if so that could be linked alright, there shouldn’t be any broken wires anywhere.
The motor is probably ok, its just its not getting any power, or earth.
Will take a look at my own tomorrow and let you know what I find re the wires to the wiper plug.

Do you know the recent past history of this car, have you ever seen the wiper working before it was smashed up?

Wiring diagram… http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/C220/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/5327.pdf

Source… http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/C220/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/

Dec

OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
Yer i have owned it since July and the wipers worked up until a few weeks ago. the wires I am talking about come up from just forward of the fuse box towards the air filler they plug in to a black block there is green one a pink one a red one and a grey one, its the green one that is disconeted. Also there is a very faint siren noise like a house alarm in the distance coming from the engine bay near the air fillter.

pics of wires
002.jpg

001-Copy.jpg

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I thought you were talking about wires to the wiper motor plug/socket.
What you have pictured there are vacuum pump tubes, don’t know what areas of the vacuum system the are assigned to. There must be a few other things that are not working on the car?
From your pictures there are 1 or 2 tubes missing and some Grey connectors but the have nothing to do with the wiper.

You seem to have an alarm siren that has gone faulty, you need to locate it and disconnect it for now.
Is the car actually running and driving?

Dec

OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
Yer, its running great, since I cleaned the throttle body is not stalling and is very smoth. I use it every day

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Below is the wiper socket and plug, you should be getting power… use a test lamp… at the pinholes as illustrated, if you don’t then follow the wiring into the fuse box to trace the fault. Must be a bad connection in there some where, otherwise the stalk might be faulty however I think that is unlikely.

The vacuum pipes are as in picture on my car, not sure exactly what is there assignment, someone may be able to identify there purpose. Note the alarm siren with 334 on it.

Dec

Attachments

• Wiper plug.jpg
    Wiper plug.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Vacuum tubes alarm.jpg
    Vacuum tubes alarm.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,367
OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
I took the old motor apart and it stinks of burnt plastic. The gears were ok though. should the relay click in every postion, mine just seems to click from 0 to 1. the stalk works for the screen wash and the indicators. fuse all seem ok. Are there particual fuses I should check. Also the central locking has stopped working from the key fob, around about the same time the wiper broke. I have done the digital camera trick and it imits a beam

Last edited:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The relay clicking 0 to 1 is normal , that what kicks off the wiper motor, you have to go through 1…intermittent …to get to 2 , it may well click in every speed, it wouldn’t make any difference anyway if it did.

I think the washer works separately, sometimes it is known to work even if wiper motor isn’t. If the fuse is out it may well still work. The only fuse involved is the one you changed.

When the mechanism broke, it probably jammed, the motor couldn’t turn, it burned out, as the smell indicted and may have melted some wires so you need to check all the wires from the wiper plug, back to the fuse box and take a look at the stalk switch inside as well.

Was there any power in the wiper motor socket as suggested in above attached picture?

Dec

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
No, that’s for testing house eletrics at 240V what you need is a 12V CIRCUIT TESTER, a few pounds from Halfords
You put the needle end to the power you are trying to check and the crocodile clip on to a good METAL earth on the car body like an unpainted nut, if the bulb lights in the tester then you have power = live circuit.
Example… http://www.hor-i-zon.com/catalog/images/633597.jpg

Dec

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Not really Dave, your not the only one learning something here, every day you pick up something new.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And other people read the post as well :D:D:D

OP
daveystanhope68

daveystanhope68

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 C180 W202,
Thanks guys, very decent of you.

I will get a tester to day and have ago over the weekend. I took the fuse box out about 4 inches to look underneth and it smells burnt there too, so I will check all the wires. on a more postive note my new second hand gearknob turned up so that cheered me up.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It would be wise to have a look at the stalk switch first, something caused this fault so your need to examine the wiper part of the switch first to see if it looks ok. you don’t want to risk repeating the fault with the new motor.

Example of a switch in good condition… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=38617

Dec

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom