W203 Air con

Ron Anderson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi Avantgarde Sport Pack 2004
Hi all
I had the air con in my W203 recharged last year. Over the last few months there has been a 'hissing' sound coming from the heating/cooling system but there is no longer any noise. Problem is, there is now no air con at all, and as I live in what has been the warmest part of the UK (weird for Scotland!) for a number of days, this is more than a small problem. The car is black, the seats are black leather etc etc. Can't even sit in it or touch the steering wheel etc but I'm sure I'm not the first to experience this.
Question: do I spend more money getting it recharged again or is there something else that needs looking at and if so, is it likely to be expensive?
Please help!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The hissing sound is low gas in the system, common for the 203 and 211....suspect the condenser has a hole in it, we have done 3 this week.......

OP
R

Ron Anderson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your very prompt response. Is a replacement condenser expensive and can a (fairly experienced) DIY mechanic fit it? Is it a dash out job?
Many thanks.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It sits in front of the cooling rad, its not a hard job, its just knowing what to undo.......front bumper and slam panel off etc..........

OP
R

Ron Anderson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again. I'll see if I can source a condenser. I'll speak to the guys who did the recharge last year in the hope that they'll take pity on me!
Cheers

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The hissing sound is low gas in the system, common for the 203 and 211....suspect the condenser has a hole in it, we have done 3 this week.......

You always have to be one better...

I've done two this week.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom