W203 c class towbar wiring

Macca

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just fitted a car specific towbar wiring kit (Westfalia) to my '52 estate. All works well as it should but i was wondering should i be hearing a 'buzzer' for the indicators as on many other cars when towing?

Thanks in advance

Macca

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum,,MB do a special box that plugs into the rear SAM also on you car the fans should be modified

OP
M

Macca

Reaction score
Hi Malcom, thanks. The car specific kit comes with that box, which is plugged into the SAM. I've done some more digging and come to the conclusion that the car needs to go onto Star-Diagnosis to perform variant coding, does that sound right? BTW in relation to the fans is that to put a higher power spec in?

Thanks again

Macca

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes correct it does need to go onto STAR I can send you the details of all of it with an Email address you can pop it up here and delete it in edit soon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have it, and you can take down your address in edit

bouncer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200k w203
Not all kits include a buzzer. By law they must flash on the dash or buzz or both.
Some kits a buzzer is optional.

sTeVe

enginehouse

Reaction score
Towbar connections W203

Dear all,

I have the same problem with a second hand towbar:

When it was removed, the CAN plug was cut out and remained on the donor car.

My car has VIN no: WDB2030351A070887, saloon, after 06.2000 my.

The towbar is Brink and harness are Jaeger no 52041502.

The CAN plug must enter in a 3 socket conector in the SAM, no 15.

The colour of Jaeger CAN wirings are: Black, Blue/Black and Yellow.

Please advice about in which order I must fit into 15 SAM socket.

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Attachments

• Image0162.jpg
    Image0162.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Image0165.jpg
    Image0165.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Too hard for me Dan,,I do not have that info

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would have a word with the maker Jaeger for this info

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Hi Malcom, thanks. The car specific kit comes with that box, which is plugged into the SAM. I've done some more digging and come to the conclusion that the car needs to go onto Star-Diagnosis to perform variant coding, does that sound right? BTW in relation to the fans is that to put a higher power spec in?

Thanks again

Macca

My 51 plater was fitted with a Westfalia a few weeks ago, I chose to use the "Right Connections" plug in kit, I too have no buzzer or lights on the dash when indicating, but, I'm assured that the bulb fail module, via the Can Bus will flirt up a large warning, so, no need for STAR!!!!!

Interesting point on fans... are mine an issue Malcolm? and just what is the recommendation for the fans??????

:neutral: DC :neutral:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Not all kits include a buzzer. By law they must flash on the dash or buzz or both.
Some kits a buzzer is optional.

sTeVe

not strictly true. the point of the flashing light or buzzer on the indicators is to warn of a bulb failure on the trailer indicators. if, as seems to be the case with MB's with OE spec wiring fitments, the standard dash bulb failure system brings up bulb failures, then there is no need for any light on the dash or buzzer, as the car has its own system already. in most cases its easier to just fit a bizzer for the towbar fitter though. also IIRC that law only applies to vehicles which MUST have a type approved towbar by law, which IIRC was any car fitted with a towbar from 1998 onwards

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum,,MB do a special box that plugs into the rear SAM also on you car the fans should be modified

Malcolm, can you please be specific with regards to the mod, part numbers etc.... as I'm concerned that my 51 plate 220 may need this too...

:confused: DC :confused:

Edit: I missed out thanks....

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
why would the fans need to be modified? surely 1 viscous fan and 2 electric fans would be enough?

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not strictly true. the point of the flashing light or buzzer on the indicators is to warn of a bulb failure on the trailer indicators. if, as seems to be the case with MB's with OE spec wiring fitments, the standard dash bulb failure system brings up bulb failures, then there is no need for any light on the dash or buzzer, as the car has its own system already. in most cases its easier to just fit a bizzer for the towbar fitter though. also IIRC that law only applies to vehicles which MUST have a type approved towbar by law, which IIRC was any car fitted with a towbar from 1998 onwards

Also a part of the MOT now too :shock:

enginehouse

Reaction score
I'm kindly ask a member with same car and Jaeger module to take a sugestive picture of VT plug conected in 15 SAM shell (which colour Black, Blue/Black and Yellow came from left to right in my above attached picture)
Thank you

Attachments

• Image0162.jpg
    Image0162.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 31
S

Shamaya

Tow Bar

Hi, did you fit it yourself?
I am just about to buy one and thinking to fit myself on my estate C class 2002, or its job for professionals?
Do you need to take the bumper off?
Many Thanks
Ivan

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom