W203 C Coupe door handles.

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
Everyday I admire my 2003 coupe, of course I'd like a new SL but I really do like the look of the little C Class, except.........

My nasty black door handles! Look very cheap IMHO.

Just out of interest (I may never act on it) what would be the best procedure for going colour match brilliant silver?

Buy from MB?
Breakers?
Easy to fit? (I've done a bit of "door work" before, e.g. replacing locks on a Polo)
Are they the same spec as a Saloon or Estate handle?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The ones from MB may still need painting, breakers if they have silver, or you can colour code your own handles

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can buy chrome covers

OP
canute

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
Colour code your ones, very easy to remove, paint and refit have done loads

Cheers (all of you).

So are the shiny silver ones just painted black ones? I always thought they were a different material.

Interesting news! I'll add it to the "jobs I'll probably never get round to" list, but thanks for the reply.

Nigel Dean

Reaction score
Colour code your ones, very easy to remove, paint and refit have done loads
Hi, new to the forum

Just about to buy 2004 '04' Classic C180K. Great car in every respect but nasty black door handles. Notice post say these are easy to remove and respray. Have paint shop contact so paint not a problem, just how involved is removing these items - door cards off I guess, plastic clips? Advice would be great

Nigel

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Open the door, and pull back the rubber weatherseal just level with the handle, there you should see a hole, insert a 4mm..I think.. allen key. long reach is best and unscrew the allen screw therein..well loosen it only ,it doesnt come right out..the rear end piece of the handle will slide out..now the handle itself should slide back and lift out...No need to take off the inner door card or plastic ..
When you start unscrewing the allen screw, open the outer handle fully out and hold there until the screw is loose..on some models this is necessary to hold the lock opening catch away from the handle..to allow easy entry when replacing..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, new to the forum

Just about to buy 2004 '04' Classic C180K. Great car in every respect but nasty black door handles. Notice post say these are easy to remove and respray. Have paint shop contact so paint not a problem, just how involved is removing these items - door cards off I guess, plastic clips? Advice would be great

Nigel

Welcome Nigel :D:D the above post is a good description by Xtractorfan ,,,but if you want the papers just ask,,that goes for anyone

Nigel Dean

Reaction score
Wow, that's a quick response. Many thanks to you both, new to C class membership, hence the stupid questions. On the subject if stupid questions, what do you mean by 'papers'? Are these workshop instructions?

Anyway, if you like fast cars click on this link and see what I have just built... nothing to do with Mercedes but you might be interested. 4.6 litre V8, 700 kilos

http://www.nigeldean.co.uk/gallery.htm

If you want to see what she goes like then click on this link

http://www.nigeldean.co.uk/raptorvideo2.htm

However, getting old and need a nice easy ride - hence the C Class.

Thanks for you friendly advice, no doubt I'll be back for more.

Nigel

OP
canute

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
Wow, that machine looks like it begs to be driven hard! How do you cope with concourse v driving?

Did you attempt the handle spraying? Interested to know how it went.

Nigel Dean

Reaction score
Hi, glad you like my Raptor. It is a serious piece of kit, and will leave any AMG in its wake. I just got the C-Class home and it is sitting in the garage for the first time. Black door handles still shouting at me. My spreytech man (who superbly did a touch in today) said he was a little worried about the paint sticking to the plastic door handles. What is your experience? Does it flake over time? He said he uses a special plastic primer, but interested in your own experience. Also how did you prep the surface - just flatted with wet and dry?

Cheers Nigel and appreciate the advice

ssc200k

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200k 2005 1.8SC
Reviving an old thread!

Hi, wondering if this mod was ever completed??

Easy?

Many thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome,,, these 2 members have not posted in a long time, so we do not know

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom