W203 C180 Sportcoupe rear fuse box

nei

Reaction score
Have had this problem for months: Both remotes are not working from remotely, Infrared works occasionally, some times works after rubbing the sensor on the door handle with my finger(don't ask me why).
Went to the garage today, the chap there run STAR on my car and told me the rear fuse box needs replaced, quoting 450 EUR all together. I wondered if I could buy this on eBay but the guy said this has to be ordered from Mercedes because it contains identification code that needs to match that of my car. Does anyone have the same experience and what do you think of the price? It sounds pretty much rip off to me:???:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The common fault for the RF long range locking is the antenna amp in C pillar,,this is a very well known fault.

I cannot see how a fuse box can be at fault unless he means the rear SAM

I need to check on what is connected to the rear SAM

OP
N

nei

Reaction score
Malcolm Almighty, I doubt about it, too. I checked the fuse pinout, all fuses that have to do with central locking are actually located next to the driver's side front door. The technician said the car picks up the RF signal from the antenna, it then go through the rear window to the rear fuse box, the box does anthorization job, I seriously doubt that a simple fuse box can do this much???
Do you happen to know exactly where the amplifier is and how I can access it please? I happen to have an used one in hands and it's believed working.
Thanks a million!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes the rear 'fusebox' does more than power supply. it IS a control unit (rear sam), but any can be coded to your car as long as they have the right part number - they are NOT vin coded.

how does your guy know the rf reciever is working correctly, it should be clear with a star test of the rear sam.

as malcolm says a VERY common problem on the two door c-class coupe cars is the rf antenna. this is in the rear screen at the top under a plastic trim. it is bonded to the screen and they can just come unstuck!!

OP
N

nei

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.
Malcolm, I clicked the link but nothing came out,does this site not allow external link?
I did not suspect the antenna itself because the radio has been working fine. Did take the plastic covers on the rear window once and I could see this attached the top end of the screen(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BENZ...s_SM?hash=item563122f3af&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
Many ppl told me the amplifier is located at the C pillar, I tried to have a peek from the edge of the interior on both sides, nothing likely.
BTW, the amplifier I have got is the same as this one, could anyone confirm this is the right part for my car please?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many cars leave coachworks with the wires damaged,,the inner core is a single strand and so very thin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
N

nei

Reaction score
Thanks Alex but the links are blank on both of my computers. Tried to go to the home page and search by model but then I get to a list of parts which I need to order.
Malcolm, I'll go back there and hopefully he'll do it right this time. Thank you both!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you are using fire fox,, then scroll down and you will see the info

OP
N

nei

Reaction score
Malcolm, Alex, Thank you both very much! I always tried to open the link with Maxthon and IE and nothing comes up at all. With Firefox it works fine, I have seen item 10 when I removed the plastic covers on the rear window.
Will try to buy this off eBay and replace myself, I assume the normal radio reception does not need amplification?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The radio does require amplification due to the fact the 50 Ω coax is used,, this would attenuate the signal if it was not amplified.

This is why I asked this point earlier,, there is a splitter as well. though the amp was known to have problems some blew the fuse but others did not

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can send you a block diagram,, I have been looking at this and am wondering if the first diagnosis was not correct as the rear SAM is in use here,,is it that the SAM cannot find the RF amp for the locking section or part of the central gate way...I will try and look at it all later

OP
N

nei

Reaction score
The technician didn't really show me what was going on as he ran STAR, the only thing I figured from the monitor was that he pressed the remote and the control unit, probably the SAM you are talking about, was not picking up anything.
I recall seeing the amp inside the windows frame, not sure what has to be done to get it out but will figure out tomorrow. Would appreciate any helpful information, you can send to my email: neilinger@hotmail.com
Thanks again Malcolm

OP
N

nei

Reaction score
Malcolm, just got a working amp off ebay and you are so right, it works like a charm now.
Thanks a million!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm, just got a working amp off ebay and you are so right, it works like a charm now.
Thanks a million!!!

Thank you so much for posting back :D:D

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom