W203 C180K M271 engine whine on Aircon / Heating

Crew

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K 2004
Hi all,

I've had a small issue with my 54 plate C180K for 2 years and it's never really bothered me. The cars been flawless in performance and servicing. Its just about to notch over 100k miles so I wanted to get some advice on what the issue might be.

In normal driving conditions the whine is not present. When the front windscreen anti-fog is activated or the Aircon is turned on there is an additional whine on top of the normal supercharger whine. It matches the revs of the engine. This remains until the ventilation system is turned off (to 0). You can hear the whine groan and fade out.

I have a video of it here but its subtle. You really have to listen hard for the second whine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb6tJUPe-4s

I've read in a few places that it could be the compressor pulley bearings. The garage I use for servicing think its additional noise from the supercharger and want to charge me an extra £700 + labour to change it (which is lol as the car runs fine). I don't really trust this garage for this type of work as 10,000 miles ago they wanted me to change the spark plugs (only 20k miles on them) and battery (which didn't come up as a warning in the latest service and made it through a harsh winter). They also didn't remove the aux belt like I asked them to as a test. So
  1. could this be the compressor pulley?
  2. is the above mentioned compressor the same as the supercharger "Kompressor" or the aircon?
  3. are there any known fixes that don't involve a new supercharger!

I'll post a new video with better sound if required!

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

Stability

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Its your alternator working hard.

OP
C

Crew

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K 2004
Is it normal or is it an indication of excessive / normal long term wear?

I've seen other alternator issues on this forum but generally they seem to occur all of the time.

OP
C

Crew

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K 2004
I thought I'd post in case someone else has the same problem.

After testing the engine with sound measuring equipment it turns out it was the air conditioning compressor. I hadn't realised this kicks in when the demister is on.

It got replaced today and the cars quieter, even without the system engaged!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom