w203 cdi service help needed

twistedsanity

Reaction score
Hi people, i have an 05 plate c220cdi which is overdue its service, usually i would do it myself but a friend has offered his services FOC as im disabled and pretty usless at the moment, couple of questions for the experienced massive on here if i may
Will i have a sump plug or do i need a new fangled oil sucker to change the engine oil?
As i have an elecronic oil level indicator thingy im assuming there is no manual dipstick? how much oil do i need for a complete change?
is there any proceedure for bleeding out the fuel lines after replacing said filter or is it self bleeding?
I thank you in advance for any info ladies and gents

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You do have a drain plug in the sump, and no bleeding to do.
I cannot give you the oil quantity details

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
xcellent news, thanking you kindly sir

lulu

Reaction score
In the book it states 6½ litres.
Have you got a Diesel Particulate Filter fitted (option 474 on the Datacard in the back of your service book)? If so, you'll need 229.31 or 229.51 specification oil. If you haven't, 229.3 or 229.5 will suffice.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
And if changing the fuel filter always top up the bowl with diesel before screwing up the cap as it will save you endless churning on the starter to get the engine to fire up

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
WTF is 229.31oil?, im geting old now, is that a mercedes dealer code for oil? im still in the age of 10w40 oils!, do i need to go to a dealer to get it rather than halfrauds?, thanks again for the reply's

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Best oil is Mobil 1, £23 for 4 litres from Costco.
Buy it anywhere else & you will pay through the nose for it.

You should use a fully synthetic oil that meets MB requirements, 229.3 or 229.5. If you have DPF, which you probably will not, 229.31 or 229.51 low ash oil must be used. It will tell you on the back of the bottle which requirements it meets.

Russ

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
dammit, i have the option!- is all mobil one oil low ash?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
dammit, i have the option!- is all mobil one oil low ash?

No it is not, and not my line,but the service book does state the correct oil,and the number 229. what ever, you can buy any oil from anywhere as long as it says on the oil that it meets that figure in your service book

lulu

Reaction score
Mobil 1 ESP is low ash and conforms to MB 229.51 (which is superior to 229.31)

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
i thank you lulu, my service book says it was filled with mobil one low ash last time, mobil one 0w40 previously and mobil 5--30 on its first fill, i shall send mummy off to costco's for me later today!!

lulu

Reaction score
To my knowledge the only low ash oil Mobil do is 5W-30 http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp
The 0W-40 Mobil 1 you refer to isn't the correct grade to do an oil change with on your vehicle if it has a DPF. (Their manual says it's OK to top it up with 229.3 or 229.5, which is what 'ordinary' Mobil 1 is, but not a complete oil change.)

I know there's another thread on the forum somewhere where the dealer did a service and replaced the oil with the 'incorrect' grade because of the DPF!

Again, the easiest way to make sure is that it'll say on the back of the tin which MB specs it conforms to.

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
Costco did not have a suitable oil for a car with the dpf fitted, ended up iin halfrauds spending £32.50 for 5L of there own branded oil, sump plug was a pain in the butt to get at, needed to remove two plastic undertrays from the car to access it, nowhere to place the trolley jack or axle stands, had to use the supplied car jack to raise it, but did see an instant rise in mpg after changing the oil and filters and the car feels more responsive and less laboured, German and swedish car parts did not even know there were special spec oils for DPF cars(bit worrying), im off to devon on friday so hoping for some proper mpg return, thanks for all the advice and help, only issue i could see was that the oil breather and pipe was gunked up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Under the jacking point on the car you have rubber bungs, you place the trolley jack / stand under these points, and the bung fits in a round top stand

OP
T

twistedsanity

Reaction score
so you remove the jacking points? or is that a really thick question?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so you remove the jacking points? or is that a really thick question?

No you remove nothing, just go out to your car and feel immediately under the sill below the side jack hole and you will feel a large round rubber, that rubber sits in the trolley jack cup or in the cup of a round top axle stand.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its a square cut-out mount on the 203, serves the same purpose though!!

Top Bottom