W203 driver's side window problem - something broken?

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Hello everyone.

I pressed the button to lower the driver's side window.
It lowered to the bottom of its travel (i.e. right down)
Then there was a metallic 'click' or 'boing' like a piece of metal breaking or snapping
Then the window went straight back up instantly
Now, on bumpy roads, there is a sound from the driver's door like a a small piece of metal rattling around.

I have not tried to lower the window since the above in case it stays down.

All thoughts or suggestions on whether there is a problem, the likely cause, remedial action, parts required, etc., will be very welcome.
Thank you.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds like part of the window regulator has come adrift. You’ll need to remove the door card and have a look at what’s come off and take it from there.

I’ve changed window regulators before and they can be a bit of a pig but as long as you’re careful and take your time it’s definitely do-able. Just take care around the glass and make sure you don’t tear any waterproof plastic when taking the door card off.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Fading 203 memory, but ... I seem to recall that there is an aluminium panel covering much of the inner door once the door card has been removed. It is riveted into place, and has to be drilled out. If so, it has to be removed before the window mechanism can be accessed.

My memory is hazy, and what I've said here might only apply to the later model - 204 class.

OP
D

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
blobcat and umblecumbuz - thank you very much for the replies - this is very helpful.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom