W203 Front End Vibrations !

colonel

Reaction score
I am still getting vibrations on my C220 CDI (W203).

At first, I changed the front discs and pads for vented mintex discs. Then I got the anti-roll bushes replaced and the tracking rods and ends. The garage when replacing the tracking rods said that the nearside was fine so they did not replace that one.

The car still has vibrations...slight vibrations can be felt through the seat at 60-80. Then heavily when braking the vibration comes through the steering wheel.

The garage believes that this may be down to two potential issues...they are:

1) Excessive play in lower control arms
2) Rear brake discs and shoes need replacing.

I took the car to another garage to get a second opinion. Their verdict was that the following:

1) Replace the mintex discs with OE discs (ATE I think).
2) They did notice the play in the lower control arms however, feel that this would not cause the vibration.

All I want is to fix the vibration ! What do you think this could be ?

Last edited:

wullyuk

Reaction score
I woyuld put money on it being a worn bush in one of the control arms.

I have the same car and the faults are the exact same, i was sure it was the discs but upon inspection found the bushes torn.

Do you have any bangs going over bumps?

LYNALL

Reaction score
Vibration when braking means discs warped, have them check the runout.

Have you had all the wheels balanced?

Since all the bushs and arms have been replaced have you had a geometry check?

Wifes had warped discs (vibration when braking) front susp arms bushs worn bad, new fitted, nearside front wheel bearing would not adjust properly so replaced, pulled to the left slightly unstable at speed and did not inspire confidence.

So i fitted lots of shiny bits and had a 4 wheel check done, tracking was out front and rear axles, and camber was out both sides, new adjuster bolts fitted and its like a different car, stable precise and handles very well.

Elite tyre did the 203 and wheels in motion did my 210.

First pic is of the arm cut open showing the bush and the two little buttons that actually keep the bush central, one has snapped a nipple and worn quite badly this will all effect the geometry.

Hope this helps

Lynall

Attachments

• DSC00339.JPG
    DSC00339.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

LYNALL

Reaction score
Oh yes i forgot the offside front spring that snapped as well!

Lynall

Attachments

• DSC00321.JPG
    DSC00321.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
C

colonel

Reaction score
Thanks wullyuk, that is one of the opinions of the first garage.

@ LYNALL, both front springs have already been replaced. The two little buttons on the lower control arm/bushes could also point the problem to this area of the suspension.

I have been quoted £200 to replace both lower control arms...do you think I should get this done first (as it does need doing !) or opt for the cheapest first (new brake discs !)

I like the idea of the car handling well as it has been like this since I bought it !

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No bush on the suspension can cause shaking, something that is going round like a wheel or prop shaft will or can cause it.
The center bearing on the propshaft should be checked for free play and up and down movement, esily done by jacking one side of the car at the rear with the box in P or a gear on a manual, then rotate the rear wheel while looking at the center bearing on the propshaft, or go under the car and give it a shake.

Any shaking felt when the brake pedal is pushed must be a disc out of true

OP
C

colonel

Reaction score
Hi,

I do get front end knocking when going over small bumps and at the latest MOT, a advisory note was made for lower control arms due to worn bushes.

The vibration is felt at 60-80mph (without brake pedal pressed) and more heavily when braking (especially downhill braking).

Could this be a culmination of two problems, i.e Lower control arms and front discs out of true ?

LYNALL

Reaction score
Yep i would say you need both doing.

Was commenting to wife today how much smoother her car is over bumps since the 4 wheel alignment was done, was harsh all the time before i replaced all the bits mentioned in my previous post and was still the same afterwards and only thing done since is the 4 wheel track so it does def make a difference.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Though the only thing that can make a shake is usually the wheel, when all ball joints are tight, the wheel does not get a chance to shake, once there is some wear in the joints, then the wheel can start to shake, as the free play will allow it to, or because it can

OP
C

colonel

Reaction score
Okay, I have just purchased the following:

2 x lower control arms w/bushes
Track Rod & N/S (LH) Rod End
Front Discs
Rear Discs
Rear Shoes
Rear Pads

Will also get a four wheel dynamic balance

Hopefully, this will sort the problem !!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That should solve it, and make for a smoother ride.

Just ask if you are unsure of anything when fitting them

OP
C

colonel

Reaction score
I sure hope so....this has been a long old journey !

hawkinsd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI 2005
I have the same problem that you report. Did replacing all those parts resolve the issues?

OP
C

colonel

Reaction score
The steering and handling is brand new....very tight however, I am still getting knocking when hitting small potholes. The garage did not change the tracking rod because they felt no play in it....any ideas ?

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
you can still have an out of round tyre or an egg, that wont always show up even after balancing.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom