W203 Randomly Unlocking and Locking Doors

Eric Price

Reaction score
Website
www.computerhumour.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Volvo V50/2004/2.4 & Volvo S40/2005/1.8
Hello,

This is my first post in the forums although I have been lurking for several weeks. I have a problem on my '06 W203 C-Class (180K saloon) regarding some weird locking issues and I hope that somebody else has had a similar problem to mine and been able to solve it.

When I first purchased the vehicle the remote didn't want to unlock the vehicle. There was no sign of life and so I replaced the battery in the key (I only had one). That was great, I now got a flashing red led on the key but still no unlocking on the car. I then went to check all the fuses and strangely not only was the 7.5 amp fuse for the remote receiver missing but there was also a bag of fuses in the boot with the Mercedes label on it saying 'Lock Kit'. I put the fuse in the slot and hey presto everything is working.

During the past few weeks as I tidy up some little niggles on the vehicle I have thought I have seen it randomly lock and unlock itself. I didn't give this enough attention thinking I had accidentally knocked the key in my pocket.

This evening however I get on a knock on the door from a neighbour saying that the boot/truck is open. I go to investigate and the car is locked. I close the boot, test the locks a few time, give it a quick Google and then sit in the back seat and tap against the rear fuse box, something about a SAM module that can get knocked and cause this to happen but nothing.

I am wondering now if it is a fault with the key I got with the vehicle so I have removed the batteries from it and swapped it with the spare I had made just after I got the car (but never used).

Has anybody got any ideas about this? Maybe this has already been reported elsewhere in these forums but I missed it.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I had something similar in my W220, where the boot popped open when I shut the back door on occasions, then eventually refused to shut, so I had to take the fuse out. It turned out to be a microswitch in the boot lock assembly that detected when it was latched. The garage replaced the microswitch and all was good afterwards. The boot lock on the W220 was a complicated arrangement of switches and pneumatics, and the wrong signals from the sensors played havoc with the locking mechanism.

OP
Eric Price

Eric Price

Reaction score
Website
www.computerhumour.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Volvo V50/2004/2.4 & Volvo S40/2005/1.8
Update: I started getting the same issue with the second key and I read in another forum that an owner had found the buttons on their remote were easily pressed when the keys were in their pocket. I recall that the keys had always been in a pocket when the issue could have occurred so I purchased two signal blocker bags for them.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078ZJH32B/

It has only been four days since I got them but so far no more issues. I will give it another couple of weeks before I will be sure that they have solved the issue. I never had this problem with my other car (Volvo S40) but I guess the buttons on that remote are more resilient.

Top Bottom