W203 rear suspension creak

Nuclear Bob

Reaction score
My 2002 C220 CDI coupe creaks badly at the rear (both sides) - evident while travelling and also when car stationary and the body is lifted at the wheel arches. My local indie says its the sealed bushes at the lower suspension arms - and needs a special tool to remove/replace them. He also says its not possible to lubricate them from the outside - but the fault is common after a period of dry weather (as recent) and the creaks can go away when prolonged rain - suggesting there is an entry point for any potential lubricant. If so, where, and is this acceptable practice?

many thanks

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
You could try spraying with WD40 and see if the noise goes. This should prove if the fault is as your indie suspects.

steviewestlea

Reaction score
Springs ?

Have you checked for broken springs ?
I had similar creak, and needed 1 front and 1 rear.
See my post 'Broken Springs'

Regards
Steve

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Buy a spray can of silcone lubricant & spray the bushes, works wonders.

Russ

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Has the indie looked at the car ? if he has did he rule out broken springs ?

OP
N

Nuclear Bob

Reaction score
Yes , broken springs have been ruled out by the Indie - and anyway they were replaced a year ago so I would be annoyed if they failed again so soon. I have sprayed with silicone and WD - no difference, but maybe I have done it in the wrong place?

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Beware of using WD40 on rubber components, its a mineral oil and can destroy or at least damage rubber parts, if they ain't dud when you spray them they might be dud next year.

Use a silicon lubricant in preference.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I have sprayed with silicone and WD - no difference, but maybe I have done it in the wrong place?

You really need to get the wheel off to see all the bushes are sprayed.

Russ

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
had this problem on dads w203. he got a local garage to unbolt the bushes and get a good spray around them with silicone. bolted everything back together and its been fine since

OP
N

Nuclear Bob

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the suggestions. I have had the wheels off and sprayed all the joints - I'm amazed there are around 12 joints/bushes for each wheel! I have concentrated on the lower arms (but which one is the problem? - I think the large main one parallel to the drive shaft which has a plastic broad lower cover?). The problem is diminished but not gone

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
Hello Bob, How did you get on with your rear-end creak? Solved it yet?
Cheers

OP
N

Nuclear Bob

Reaction score
Hello, yes, problem sorted yesterday - the creak refused to go away despite lubrication, so i booked it into my local Indie for the bushes to be replaced. All quiet now. Cost 3 hrs labour (£120) plus 2 bushes (£40) plus the vat. They say very common problem on C and E class. Often needs replacing as early as 50-60,000 miles. I shall consider myself lucky as mine is now 171,000 miles.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom