W204 advice from owners - reliability

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
Hi Guys

I was hoping owners of the C Class (Diesel Auto) can give me information on how reliable their car has been, I've got quite a small budget so will be looking at a 2008 model, are they generally known to be reliable? I do about 14000 miles a year and was leaning towards the diesels for economy.

Advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i dont own one myself, but the general feeling of them is that theyre VERY reliable. we seem to come across very few issues with the 204. im struggling to think of any issues with them at all really, especially since theyve been around a while now

cliveyboy8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 C320 CDi. 1985 230E. 2005 Westfield 1800 SEiW.
I own a C320 CDi 2008 model year. Owned it since it was a year old and never had any problem with it whatsoever.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
One recurring problem is with the rear lamps....the earth connection corrodes and can burn out. It is a simple DIY fix with the MB parts costing under £25 or at a MB dealership it is about £200. An autoelectrician will do it for much less, though. Just check that both lamps are at the same brightness. This problem only affects units with bulbs, LEDs have different problems!

The only other thing I've had in 65K miles is the front mounts on the rear sub-frame; listen for a heavy knocking on bumps like traffic calming humps, etc. At an Indy, the job is ~£200.

On 17in wheels the back tyres last about 20K miles and the front 30K. on 16s the life should be nearer 30 and 40K respectively.

Good luck, but shouldn't be too difficult to find a good one!

Ernie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In general a very good car :D:D

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
I just changed a 2008 W204 after 4 1/2 years. Great car. Only minor issue was the rear lights - The earth being too small tends to lead to needing the light cluster holder replaced after it would melt around the contact.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hi Guys

I was hoping owners of the C Class (Diesel Auto) can give me information on how reliable their car has been, I've got quite a small budget so will be looking at a 2008 model, are they generally known to be reliable? I do about 14000 miles a year and was leaning towards the diesels for economy.

Advice would be much appreciated :)

Great car, no issues. I got a 2008 220cdi. All cars will have things that need fixing at somepoint, all i tend to hear is complaints from work colleagues about vag/audi who originally gone on about build quality nonsense before buying one then bitch about how crap they are once owning

OP
C

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
Thanks for all the replies feel more confident about looking at them now, I've looked at other threads and it looks like the C220 is the one to go for for both performance and economy, apart from a full service history is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? I'm looking to spend £8.5k so it'll have 100k - 120k miles on the clock..

I'm looking at AutoTrader and Ebay so far, if theres anywhere else you guys can recommend i'll happily take your suggestions.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
Mileage isn't an issue for these cars provided they are maintained. Buy on condition and not mileage. Try and avoid a car fitted with a DPF if you can.

Listen to interior trim noises also on the test drive, there have been reports of one or two squeaking.

OP
C

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
I've just seen a C220 CDI Sport with sat nav and leather, AMG Alloys and body styling, done 80k miles, full service history, £9,995, does that sound good? let me know as i'm thinking of going for a test drive soon :)

Last edited:
P

p3t3er

Mine is a 320 CDi and much quicker, quieter and smoother than the 220 CDi.
I have averaged 44 mpg over six years and 59,000 miles.
Full service history with same dealer.
I've replaced tyres twice, the last set only 3,000 miles ago.
No problems whatsoever to date though I have just replaced the wiper blades in time for winter!
Good luck.

OP
C

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
Thanks Peter, I'll have to stick with the C220 i think for both insurance purposes and also i think MPG should be better, officially it does seem to have better MPG anyway!.

What do you think of the example I posted earlier for 10k, to me it looks like a good deal?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Great cars, never had am issue with mine. Lovely to drive, painless to own.

I'd still have mine had I not been banned from driivng for a long time.

C220cdi pre blue efficieny is tried and tested and very reliable. I loved mine

P

p3t3er

Thanks Peter, I'll have to stick with the C220 i think for both insurance purposes and also i think MPG should be better, officially it does seem to have better MPG anyway!.

What do you think of the example I posted earlier for 10k, to me it looks like a good deal?

I prefer the less firm suspension of my Elegance to a Sport model due to a back problem of mine. I wouldn't have thought that 80,000 miles was an issue provided that it has a full service history. You may also be able to negotiate a little on the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
is it much firmer? I do prefer softer suspension but prefer the look of the sport.

OP
C

corpjones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 soon
Hmm i've got a dilemma now, I was all set for the sport but now having second thoughts, been reading thru some posts and it looks like the ride is really good on the elegance.

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
Hmm i've got a dilemma now, I was all set for the sport but now having second thoughts, been reading thru some posts and it looks like the ride is really good on the elegance.

Ride is far better on the elegance - FAR better - not even in the same league. BUT the sport version is very good but as others have said firmer. Its just the same old same old - looks. No comparison. Elegance was never an option.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Ride is far better on the elegance - FAR better - not even in the same league. BUT the sport version is very good but as others have said firmer. Its just the same old same old - looks. No comparison. Elegance was never an option.

The elegance and SE cars look a bit plain Jane. You know, the sort of girl that's alright but only after five pints...

The sports the one. And the poise makes them really nice to drive.

That said I've not driven an elegance

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom