W204 Boot Randomly Opens

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Hello all, been a little while since I last posted here, mainly because my current Merc has been so wonderfully reliable, I haven’t needed any help. I was also saddened to see that Malcolm has passed away in the time I have been away. He was so helpful and generous with his time to absolutely everybody. I regret not getting the opportunity to meet him in person at one of the many GTGs.

Anyway, I digress. I have twice now come to my W204 to find the boot open. I know I did not leave it open, - it must have somehow triggered by itself. Has anyone else had this issue and what was is the cure?

Hoping someone can help.

Chris.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The remote fob works over a huge distance and sitting with a key in your pocket is likely to press a button. A few seconds of the boot button and its open, at least when you accidentally unlock the doors they re-lock after around 30 seconds so you're never aware you did it unless an opportunist opened the door,
I always take the keys out of my pocket as soon as possible after locking the car and never sit down with them in a trouser pocket whilst within range which is a huge distance.
I can park my car at the furthest point from the supermarket and easily unlock it when I'm at the shop doors.
You could get a key fob cover but I chose to just do as I said earlier.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
And another with the same experience.
The fob is a pain in the afterthought, because it works from miles away (not literally).
I have placed my fob down on a table before now and through the lounge window have watched my tailgate slowly rise. The thing is very sensitive, especially while in your pocket.

With experience, I am now extremely careful with the fob once I have locked my car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It does co-incide with the key redesign where the buttons are separate hard plastic ones instead of harder to press flexible plastic. I have both types of key, and the newer one is really easy to press by mistake.

OP
Blakey

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Thank you all, - I tested the range on mine and it seems to reach from about 100m or so.

Some would describe this as ‘a feature’.

I will have to be very careful with the fob from now on.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
If you hold the key against your head and press when at a distance away when the key wouldn't work, it will do....

Bit of science

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
If you hold the key against your head and press when at a distance away when the key wouldn't work, it will do....

Bit of science
Yes, this was demonstrated to me a few years ago on a Land Rover, couldn't believe it, it doesn't work on my car though, I'm not sure what range the boot release works, about 50 yards if that.

Top Bottom