W204 C200 OM651 Intake Manifold

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Hey Guys,

I have the car for over a year and drove it around 40 000km through the year. Currently car has 140 000km. From time to time was throwing error code PA200A21. Recently it went into a limp mode also. At home it showed me:

P200A21 - The charge movement flap (cylinder 1) has a malfunction. The signal amplitude is less than a minimum amplitude
P246309 - The soot content of the diesel particular filter is NOT OK
P200A75 - The charge movement flap (cylinder 1) has a malfunction. The emrgency position was not reached.

I have played with charge movement flap using SD and it got better. There is no problem with the electric motor operating the flaps as it is moving correctly according to SD. Car did not throw error for another 2 days. However yesterday it came back with P200A21 but only as stored and not current. It showed me 6 occurences of this error. It usually happens when car is being driven at low speeds we say in the city. 80% of my driving is the motorway driving.

It has power etc. SD is showing DPF actual values great - no problems there at all. All the sensors are functioning fine.Only one time it wasn't able to regenerate the filter. My question is - should I try to take out the intake manifold and clean it - which is not a pleasent job to do - or I should get a brand new intake manifold? I have taken a look under the car to see if the intake manifold is cracked etc. however engine is dry in every place where I was looking into so this is not a problem. I know there was an issue with a screw on these intakes so what would you do at my place?

Also if you would clean it - which chemicals would you use as it is a plastic intake?

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
It may be better to replace, as from what i can gather they all seem to crack before long as they are plascraptastic. Mine has a small crack but is currently not throwing any codes so ive left it. It does whistle when cold under load though.

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was thinking the same. I got a good price from Mercedes Grangemouth. In fact, knowing that these intake manifolds can crack and the job of taking out the manifold is not the shortest one to do, I think I will replace the intake. So far my car is driving fine, no problems at all, if it will go into the limp mode again, I will order intake and just replace it.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have ordered all the parts. I should have them on Tuesday and I will change it on Friday next week. I ill take some pictures and do a quick DIY for it :D

Edit@
One quick question. I think I have asked about this earlier. Can you tell if is it safe to pour the coolant and just wait to free-airlock itself? Is there any tips you can do to prevent an airlock on this engine or is it better to pressurise the system at the dealer?

Last edited:

Glenooo

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA 200d
Hey OP how'd you get on with this issue? My manager is having the same issue.
Motorway driver, about 150,000km, goes into limp mode, even after a giant service at a mechanic and they didn't pick up on this. Now it seems to be a completely different problem to everything the mechanic touched altogether.
Very frustrating!

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Interested to see if you resolved this as I have an same intermittent code occasionally but doesn't affect the van driving wise

P200A75 - The charge movement flap (cylinder 1) has a malfunction. The emergency position was not reached.

JJJ318

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 CDI
Did you have any news on this as I’m having the same 3 engine management light come also?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No JJJ318 I didn't get any response or I have not solved this as its still not an important issue for me until the van tells me it is:D.
From what ive read its fairly common but I got a remap done late last year and an EGR software delete and so far that code has not returned. I dont know the exact process an EGR software delete does but it bypasses EGR obviously and swirl flaps I take it must be locked in fully open position. I dont know if I will have any issues down the line but so far nearly 6 months later and problem has never came back. Downside is the DPF will accumulate soot quicker. Do you have the soot problem code with the DPF?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Read with interest. I have never had to replace a manifold on any vehicle I have owned. And to me it's an unacceptable requirement. Gaskets, seals ect yes. If it blocks under normal use its not fit for purpose, or there is a design flaw with the way the motor runs that enables it to block. Sorry to rave on but that sure looks like Dtf to me. Along with DTEW, designed to empty wallet.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I must have replaced a couple of dozen of these at least by now. I did a case study on one of them. It's here...

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/case-study-om651-turbo-fault.151366/

I have replaced some that didn't have broken bolts. They can simply distort and leak with age, with no cracks or broken bolts. The flaps can get clagged up too, and restrict the motor opening.

Read. Very interesting. I just don't think Benz is quality anymore. Just the illusion of.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally my big let down with Mercedes is hearing about the amount of rust and witnessing it first hand ( dont know if latest models in last 5 years have that issue) especially when other car manufacturers have next or no tin worm issues. Every car manufacturer has their fair share of mechanical design failures

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
I had the P200A75 code appear on my c220 just before we went into lockdown. Had a good inspection of the inlet, couldn’t see anything unusual. I deleted the code and it hasn’t come back yet (I’m checking after every run)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJ318

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 CDI
My engine management light came on and went off, but now it’s permanently on and the car now will not come out of limp mode, so I collected a inlet manifold today and off to the garage tomorrow, wish me luck I’m praying no snapped bolts

I had the P200A75 code appear on my c220 just before we went into lockdown. Had a good inspection of the inlet, couldn’t see anything unusual. I deleted the code and it hasn’t come back yet (I’m checking after every run)

JJJ318

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 CDI
Did you have any news on this as I’m having the same 3 engine management light come also?

Hey Guys,

I have the car for over a year and drove it around 40 000km through the year. Currently car has 140 000km. From time to time was throwing error code PA200A21. Recently it went into a limp mode also. At home it showed me:

P200A21 - The charge movement flap (cylinder 1) has a malfunction. The signal amplitude is less than a minimum amplitude
P246309 - The soot content of the diesel particular filter is NOT OK
P200A75 - The charge movement flap (cylinder 1) has a malfunction. The emrgency position was not reached.

I have played with charge movement flap using SD and it got better. There is no problem with the electric motor operating the flaps as it is moving correctly according to SD. Car did not throw error for another 2 days. However yesterday it came back with P200A21 but only as stored and not current. It showed me 6 occurences of this error. It usually happens when car is being driven at low speeds we say in the city. 80% of my driving is the motorway driving.

It has power etc. SD is showing DPF actual values great - no problems there at all. All the sensors are functioning fine.Only one time it wasn't able to regenerate the filter. My question is - should I try to take out the intake manifold and clean it - which is not a pleasent job to do - or I should get a brand new intake manifold? I have taken a look under the car to see if the intake manifold is cracked etc. however engine is dry in every place where I was looking into so this is not a problem. I know there was an issue with a screw on these intakes so what would you do at my place?

Also if you would clean it - which chemicals would you use as it is a plastic intake?

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
My engine management light came on and went off, but now it’s permanently on and the car now will not come out of limp mode, so I collected a inlet manifold today and off to the garage tomorrow, wish me luck I’m praying no snapped bolts

My light didn’t come on and I only had the 1 code. No running probs either, maybe it’s a problem in waiting. Hope not
Good luck, hopefully no snapped bolts.
Inlet looks a right pain to get at, the whole egr and cooler has to be removed.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Think I will take my ml250 out for a thrash and stick it on my star, see wot it says ref DPF EGR ect.. 50k miles so hope says nothing, but can't be confident.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe theres two possible issues at play with code P200A75 from what I am reading. I know the EGR software delete on mine cured two of the three the codes listed in first post by the OP. I have only drove prob 2000 miles since EGR delete so time will tell if maybe its not required to change an inlet manifold unless diagnosed as cracked or sheared bolts. Forgot to add not everyone would be happy to map out their EGR but its a handy way of fixing the issue before it gets to stage of EML and limp mode

Last edited:
Top Bottom