w204 diagnostics with iCarsoft

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I just bought the V2 version of the Carsoft diagnostics tool since I have the ESP/ABS lights on the dash. Curiously I had this a year ago, changed a wheel sensor and they went then it cam back for a couple of days and then disappeared again, only to reappear. I assume this is most likely to be a sensor so I bought the tool to find out which.
It doesn't work. I has no reference to the ABS system and shows no DTC2 at all.
Any ideas or have I just bought an overhyped tool? BTW, I had the first version of Carsoft and after finding it could not do the ABS system either, Carsoft admitted it has a problem with my w204 2011 version!

thanks for any advice

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Did you check the compatibility with your car before purchasing the iCarsoft?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Is this Carsoft or icarsoft?
If icarsoft did you purchase from UK Parts Direct? There are some bad copies out there

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
It is the iCarsoft MB2 - is this good or bad? I bought it from DiagnosticWorld so it is genuine.
It does not have any mention of ABS which I find odd. They told me to put it into data capture mode under the ESP section. In this you can get real time data from things - like the wheels! It will tell you their speed so it is way of seeing if a wheel sensor is broken.
I did, ran the car to see if one was reading badly and, lo and behold, after 40 feet of movement all the warning lights went out!
I am not sure why. They said it could be the system resetting but I doubt it.
SO, I now have no warnings but still don't have ABS in the menu so I am still debating if I send it back.
What is Carsoft vs iCarsoft?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I have the MBII and it is a good piece of kit. Mine was from the official dealer UK Parts Direct.
(There is a newer version MB v2.0 too now) . I’m sure ABS was on the menu and certainly listed on the instructions. What I’m not sure of is if it comes up with your model.
If you don’t get any further by next weekend I’ll check mine- chaotic this week unfortunately
Carsoft do diagnostics generally for older models- different company

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I checked Carsoft. It is based in Belgium and seems to have a lousy reputation but in any event their kit does NOT diagnose ABS on the w204. From this I would assume that iCarsoft doesn't either due to some oddity with the ABS system

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I have checked out iCarsoft who are based in the US though the English on their site is so bad they are not run by native English speakers.
After digging round on their site it is very curious. The i980 product features a lot but the MB V2 product takes some finding and the function list clearly does NOT include ABS even though all their adverts say it does.
I have asked them by email to confirm one way or the other.

Sloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi BlueEFF AMG Sport Plus 5 Door Auto
I bought the MB V 2.0 Icarsoft tool recently and I'm finding it very difficult to find my actual car in the listings.
It's a C350 AMG Sport Plus BlueEficiency Cdi.
I want to be able to monitor the soot levels and the regen in general but I just can't find it! Maybe the car is not supported although the advertising bumph says it does.
Where can I find a definitive list of suported Mercs on Icarsoft?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have the icarsoft MB2, on my 2003 ML270 it lists ASB ECU, but if you try to access it, system states cannot talk to it. I think I may need to download some software, but I am a bit of a since with anything like that, it's the only ECU it will not communicate with, does all the rest

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
You can try here for a function list http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoftus/resources/2015/201504/2015041509281rzf41_1.html

YOu can also try technical support but they seem a bit reluctant to answer and email doesn't work.

Scan automatically only since the manual mode will give you the impression that you have ECUs that you haven't.
On the site I mention you can download software updates but I doubt this is the problem.
For ABS I had no ECU so I went into live data feed and it shows the wheels rotation which is always the root cause of ABS errors and shows which wheel has a duff sensor.

pomm001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R231 A clas W169
It is the iCarsoft MB2 - is this good or bad? I bought it from DiagnosticWorld so it is genuine.
It does not have any mention of ABS which I find odd. They told me to put it into data capture mode under the ESP section. In this you can get real time data from things - like the wheels! It will tell you their speed so it is way of seeing if a wheel sensor is broken.
I did, ran the car to see if one was reading badly and, lo and behold, after 40 feet of movement all the warning lights went out!
I am not sure why. They said it could be the system resetting but I doubt it.
SO, I now have no warnings but still don't have ABS in the menu so I am still debating if I send it back.
What is Carsoft vs iCarsoft?

I had an issue with my ABS light on my w204 c350 and swapped the duff sensor for a new one ( friends garage scan tool ) and was contemplating buying one of these MB2 tools i must have spoken to a few suppliers who all said yes ABS reset, one showed doing this on a u tube video, which was a bit sus as you don't need to re set ABS to clear the light ( well on mine anyway) as it will re set it self after start, you will need to clear any stored codes.
If you think about it if you do get a bit out of shape and the ABS light flashes on it goes off again.
Anyway interested to hear how you get on because I would like to know before i buy one

pomm001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R231 A clas W169
I bought the MB V 2.0 Icarsoft tool recently and I'm finding it very difficult to find my actual car in the listings.
It's a C350 AMG Sport Plus BlueEficiency Cdi.
I want to be able to monitor the soot levels and the regen in general but I just can't find it! Maybe the car is not supported although the advertising bumph says it does.
Where can I find a definitive list of suported Mercs on Icarsoft?

As mentioned in another post looking at one of these myself W204 C350 Sport Plus BlueEficiency Cdi i was told that not all models had the re gen option yet as they are working on it ? but advertise it on the box
Where did you get yours from ?

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I bought it from DIagnosticworld in the UK but they are dependent on iCarsoft who do advertise stuff they don't have and clearly say on the box what the product does when it is not true. I would love to find out who actually makes the software.

Sloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi BlueEFF AMG Sport Plus 5 Door Auto
As mentioned in another post looking at one of these myself W204 C350 Sport Plus BlueEficiency Cdi i was told that not all models had the re gen option yet as they are working on it ? but advertise it on the box
Where did you get yours from ?

I got it on Ebay from alphauk7 for £142

Doesn't see all the ECUs but I expected that. The problem is there are so many versions of my car listed I really can't decide which is the correct one!

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
If you change a front wheel sensor you may find the steering is a bit odd afterwards. The Mercedes WIS says the steering needs to be recalibrated which id done simply by turning from lock to lock BUT if you don't clear the codes using the tool or another tool then the steering takes them into account and since the heaviness is speed dependent (so it is easy to park but simple to steer at speed), clearing the codes reset this too.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Unfortunately there are clones out there which have the looks but not the functions.
UK Parts Direct, as John says, are the only official dealers in the UK.
They are an extremely helpful bunch. Phone the manager, Karl, who will give you freely of his time and knowledge.

For example, I have the MB2 which I've found to be an excellent tool. I recently bought its Peugeot/Citroen equivalent, the CP2, as I have two Citroens I experienced a hiccup with it. Karl told me that over the last two weeks iCarsoft has redsigned and upgraded its update tools. I had the V2.2 version of this tool on my computer. He advised junking this and replacing it with the latest V2.5 version. I did this, and now have both of my iCarsoft scanners right up-to-date with latest software. They are both more capable as a result.

Are you running the latest software on yours? If you haven't updated, your software might be several years out-of-date.

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I downloaded the update tool and ran it and it does not automatically recognise the tool serial number so I entered it manually and it says the serial number is not an iCarsoft number. Something wrong here...waiting for an answer from DiagnosticWorld

pomm001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R231 A clas W169
Unfortunately there are clones out there which have the looks but not the functions.
UK Parts Direct, as John says, are the only official dealers in the UK.
They are an extremely helpful bunch. Phone the manager, Karl, who will give you freely of his time and knowledge.

For example, I have the MB2 which I've found to be an excellent tool. I recently bought its Peugeot/Citroen equivalent, the CP2, as I have two Citroens I experienced a hiccup with it. Karl told me that over the last two weeks iCarsoft has redsigned and upgraded its update tools. I had the V2.2 version of this tool on my computer. He advised junking this and replacing it with the latest V2.5 version. I did this, and now have both of my iCarsoft scanners right up-to-date with latest software. They are both more capable as a result.

Are you running the latest software on yours? If you haven't updated, your software might be several years out-of-date.

I spoke to this company and found them to be most helpful spent maybe 20 mins asking questions etc so was surprised that one member states it will not access live data from sensors ?
This was the primary reason i wanted to get one can you confirm that yours does
I haven't purchased yet as they are awaiting stock
Many thanks

OP
S

sceh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 2011
I made a mistake and downloaded the wrong update tool so it has now worked fine. I got instant support from a company called Bongtech who are subcontracted I guess by DiagnosticWorld since today ia a vacation in the UK. So, all is good.

BTW, the device will read active live data from the sensors but in my old version it would not say there was a sensor fault. SO, when you look at the ECU, go to live data and you can see the wheel speeds for each wheel.
BTW too, MB say you have to clear codes to remove the ABS warnings - wrong, change the sensor and all the lights clear but clear the codes for the steering problem

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I have sat my iCarsoft MB2 on the dash and read live data as I drive. With wheel sensors it is easy to see if one is under-performing or outright faulty by watching all four live readings together. Of course, for MB Esp systems, there are several other sensors that will trigger a fault in addition to the wheel sensors.

Several years ago I had the problem of the update tool not recognising an iCarsoft product I had then. I wrote to iCarsoft US, and after a long delay they informed me that my product serial number was not one of their's. I had bought a clone. Ebay, of course. Hence my warning above about making sure you have the genuine article.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom