W204 Fault Code Reader

breeze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CDI 270
I'm looking at the options for a fault code reader for my 2008 C320 CDI and would welcome recommendations.

As I understand it, the options are:

- Generic OBDII
- Aftermarket STAR (requiring laptop)
- Genuine STAR (...)

Is that it?

I see OBDII readers on eBay for upwards of £10.99 - are they really any different? Ideally I'd like something that can read Mercedes specific codes, but if not I will just go for one of the generic readers.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Generic OBD II will only give you very limited information. Some are better than others. Really the more you pay the more you get. Star is really the only foolproof way to go. Try researching a bit on the forum using search and let that be your guide.

Nailzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi
Generic code readers will usually only give you information relating to the engine. For me - it's only picked up engine faults like EGR / MAP sensor ect.

When I hooked my Merc up to STAR - there were a heap of other faults on the interior can bus, gearbox and air con / ESP. I spent a long time reading through all of it.

A star setup is definitely the best way to go. I've also used the Autocom CDP system and that gives you pretty much the same level of information but doesn't allow all of the adaptations. I was able to do air con normalization and TC adaptation using the Autocom CDP clone.

OP
B

breeze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CDI 270
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't help but think that STAR (or an aftermarket aternative) is a little heavy handed for what I want.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a tool that either (a) does OBD2 well or (b) does OBD2 and Mercedes codes.

I think I'm coming around to the conclusion, based on my research, that a Mercedes specific fault code reader isn't really available, or is, but is likely to be prohibitively expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiScan-MS509-Diagnostic-Scanner-Vehicles/dp/B006JXYH0G/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374139929&sr=1-11&keywords=autel+fault+code+reader

Tempted to go for something like the above as an advanced OBD2 reader that is reasonably priced.

Thoughts?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Reckoned you need one of more advanced models for Mercedes e.g. Autel Maxidiag PRO Scan Tool MD801 however even this does not appear to cover the W204. make absolutely sure whichever model you go for will cover the latest models

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E320T, S124, W124, Sportline
A well timed thread, I'd be very interested to hear what you go for.

parkman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 2004 + W126 500se 1983 + W124 260E 1991
W211 fault code reader.

Hi, I wonder whether any conclusion was found for the W204 fault coder reader. I am also thinking about buying a reader as I am get a few "Visit workshop" messages, which quite often go away after turning off and turning back on the ignition. I would like to try to see what may be causing these messages and I don't like the idea of booking the car into the dealer ach time it happens. I would be going along with an earlier post and would be very reluctant to have to buy a full works star reader, but preferably something a little cheaper. Again any suggestions would be welcome.
Regards, parkman

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Bought one of these for my Chrysler 300C (M-B OM642 diesel) - got fed up with the MIL light coming on after a 500 mile trip. Reads the error codes and more importantly, turns the MIL light off. Cheap, and for what I needed, effective.

parkman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 2004 + W126 500se 1983 + W124 260E 1991
W211 fault code reader.

Hi, there does seem to be a considerable price difference between a low-level code only reader and the star reader versions being sold either in China or shipping from the USA. Either of the star versions seem to be around £500 or so. I would like to find out if I can get a code reader that would tell me what the codes are, if possible. At least that might tell me if I have big problems or small problems.
Regards, parkman

MotardMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 E320T, S124, W124, Sportline
I have the OBD2 reader on order with the cable for the OBD port. As soon as I have it configured I'll throw up some screenshots of how it works and looks.

Could be it is useless for my W211, but at £10...

Top Bottom