W204 Front Torque Arms

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
Hi peeps, this is more of a sanity check than anything.
When I first bought my car 18 months ago (2012 c220 cdi sport), I had it serviced more or less immediately. One of the advisories was front torque arms showing slight wear, and was told it’s not urgent, it could be done next time. However, when I had the car serviced again this year, nothing was mentioned. I asked the guys if they seemed ok, he said he was hanging off them while it was on the ramp and they seemed fine...
I have noticed though the front suspension seems very clunky over bumps and it’s more noticeable when braking. Could this be torque arms, or a ball joint? I can’t see any fluid leaking from the torque arm bushes..
A bit more worrying though is when I brake hard at high speed. The car seems to initially twist when first hitting the brakes, but there is no pull on the steering, and does stay in a straight line. It’s just that initial application of the brake. This suggests to me some sort of wear in the suspension, but could it all be down to torque arms?
Sorry for the long post, I just want to be sure before I start spending a shed load on something that may not cure the problem...

TIA
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Clunks and knocking is normally ball joints, Bushes normally creak. Torque arm bushes are not fluid filled so will not leka oil.

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Normally drop links would be the first thing I’d go for, but I guess I was thrown a curveball because the torque arms were pointed out to me..
I guess I’ll never really know unless I jack it up and have a look. Just wondered if anyone has had worn torque arms on their w204 and what the symptoms were...

Cheers
Steve

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Initial squirm when braking could be down to uneven pad wear.

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Initial squirm when braking could be down to uneven pad wear.

That thought did cross my mind, although there is no pull on the steering...

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Can these be extracted from the lower arms?

there are no ball joints to change , you have to replace the whole arm . its the e class and cls that had hub ball joints, the c class is totally different .

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
there are no ball joints to change , you have to replace the whole arm . its the e class and cls that had hub ball joints, the c class is totally different .

Thanks, had a feeling this was the case on the c class

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would still change bull joints for peace of mind.

Ok so just jacked the car up and there is movement in the ball joint on the lower arm. Quite a bit of movement actually, need to get this sorted ASAP as the mot is due next month.
I guess as the ball joint can’t be removed from the arm, I’ll have to buy a new pair of arms. Anyone had any experience with aftermarket parts, or should I buy OEM?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Ok so just jacked the car up and there is movement in the ball joint on the lower arm. Quite a bit of movement actually, need to get this sorted ASAP as the mot is due next month.
I guess as the ball joint can’t be removed from the arm, I’ll have to buy a new pair of arms. Anyone had any experience with aftermarket parts, or should I buy OEM?

Lemforder are fine.

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lemforder are fine.

Ended up buying genuine MB part. Wasn’t cheap, but I’m always a bit suspect on what you actually receive when buying online (had issues before).
I only bought 1 arm too, the guy at the dealer said if the other side is fine, no need to replace it. Said it’s not like shocks or springs which should be replaced in pairs. Does this sound right, or should I spend another £175 for an arm for the other side?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Mmmmm wonder who makes the arms for mb. Is it lemforder ? The thing about the arms is they have all done the same mileage so in theory if ones shot youd think the others cant be far away also.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Mmmmm wonder who makes the arms for mb. Is it lemforder ? The thing about the arms is they have all done the same mileage so in theory if ones shot youd think the others cant be far away also.

I think the ball joint covers can lose integrity and let water etc in which could be one reason for just one being affected.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Ended up buying genuine MB part. Wasn’t cheap, but I’m always a bit suspect on what you actually receive when buying online (had issues before).
I only bought 1 arm too, the guy at the dealer said if the other side is fine, no need to replace it. Said it’s not like shocks or springs which should be replaced in pairs. Does this sound right, or should I spend another £175 for an arm for the other side?

Just replace when they wear out.

FYI Lemforder make them for MB, ECP are the best place to buy them

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just replace when they wear out.

FYI Lemforder make them for MB, ECP are the best place to buy them

Thanks. Just wanted to hear that for peace of mind.
There’s loads of lemforder stuff listed on eBay, but you never know with that site. ECP was around the same price anyway..

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom