W204 v W205

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
A week with the W205 C220D SE/Exec, and I note this. The 204 C180 CGI a quality car and refined at Idle and on the move. The new D is slightly more old school pulling away but muted on the move. I'm inclined to think that the W205same bigger tyres mean slightly more road noise than the previous 16 inch Michelin Energy savers - a known quiet tyre, but I never took an audio measurement so can't confirm. However it handles WAY better than the 204 with turn-in, even on comfort mode far crisper and the car is far more lithe despite having a heavier lump up front. Later model is also far roomier than the dimension increase suggests. Current best mpg 60.1 on the computer with 500 miles on the clock. The 80.3 on a run claimed, seems to far off to be achievable but we'll see. Let's face it 60 from a big ish auto with the air con on isn't exactly bad.
Summary;
Love it, feels and looks special and a worthy successor to what had become a very well developed car.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Where did you get the 80mpg on a run from. Do you mean the extra urban figure which is not on a typical run I suggest.

OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
Yes 83 I think is the quoted figure.

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E220d AMG-line premium estate (S213)
S204 v S205

My "journey" has actually been W203 - S204 - S205 since 2005 (C270CDI, C250CGI, C250 CDI).

The latest is certainly slightly more vocal than the petrol model but not that noticeable (and far less than the earlier C270). The S205 does seem to have a nicer feel to it (IMHO) and as it is a "sport" model, like the 204, it handles much the same (bit fidgety over the commonplace pot-holed roads - but corners like it should).

I would agree that the big improvement is in the steering - in my case in the way it keeps a straight line. My old (2010) 204 had the dreaded MB tendancy to keep left. This, despite numerous sessions on Hunter alignment machines, changing tyres etc - helped make it bearable but never really cured it completely.

Lisadj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG Line coupé
I had the W205 C220 AMG Line and managed 60+ on motorways. My usual 10 mile run out of town and down a dual carriageway got me 50mpg on a good day (warm weather, no traffic), 44mpg average and down to 40mpg on a cold day. (like now) :cool:

Last edited:
OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
Ah yes. The keep left safety feature... Gone!

Prince kcee

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor 2000 model
My mercedes Benz C200 compressor fuel is not starting but light is on everywhere on dashboard,if I put the key to start it no sign of the engine turning but there is full light,please I need help and advice on what to do next as I have checked all fused but all are in good condition,my car is automatic but I don't know if uses two batteries or one as I can only see the one in the engine room.please I need advice.does it use two batteries?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My mercedes Benz C200 compressor fuel is not starting but light is on everywhere on dashboard,if I put the key to start it no sign of the engine turning but there is full light,please I need help and advice on what to do next as I have checked all fused but all are in good condition,my car is automatic but I don't know if uses two batteries or one as I can only see the one in the engine room.please I need advice.does it use two batteries?

I believe you only have one battery, and sounds like you need to replace it!

OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
I recall one under the boot carpet. But you're better off asling on the relevant tech forum as mine was glitch free!

OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
4000 miles later. And I'm not so sure. The road noise is definitely more pronounced but more frustrating is the ride. Thumps are transmitted through the cabin and the passengers, to the point where I curse when it happens
The intrusive diesel rattle when transitioning speeds along with trim rattling all adds to the above to make me less than satisfied and part of me wishing I hadn't bothered. On the plus side I am getting economy figures that are significantly better than I had before. - But that ride....

OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
27000 Miles later and we've parted company. I elected to cut some costs out of my life and this was it. TBH I was a bit gutted when it went. It settled in nicely and I got used to the ride. Averaged 53 Mpg over the whole period and eaked 69 Mpg on a run back from Belgium. A class act - somebody will get a cracking car down the line.
One thing to note though as i've swapped it for a 1.0 Karoq, the Tech in the MB has dated significantly, after I jumped back in after 4 weeks of occasional use of the new vehicle, the screen in the merc looked about 10 years old!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry to see you go, interesting to hear how the Karoq goes sometime ?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
May turn out to be a karoq of shyte . :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
1.0 Karog, does it actually move when you have a passenger on board. That sounds like it is going to struggle a bit. I wonder whether it will be anywhere near as good on fuel as the MB, you are going to have to have your right foot in amongst the front suspension to make it do anything aren't you ?? :rolleyes:

OP
G

GeeAy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 W205 C220 SE Exec
I was sceptical too (1.0) until I drove it. For certain, when we get back to pre lockdown traffic and im behind someone doing 50 I might have to think twice before going for that overtake, but empty roads in the opposite direction more often or not dicate the oppertunity. For what I'm doing day to day its more than adequate. Remarkably refined on a journey too. - The journey back from the dealers that is.... I havent been anywhere else. Anyway, enough of my confirmation bias - enjoy your MB. I know I did.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom