W205 2014 Command Screen problem

Pauljames

Reaction score
Not used the car on the road for about 6 weeks, today started car up, command displays the Merc logo then 1/2 the screen goes white.... nothing else loads on the screen other than white lines - which eventually pretty much cover the screen. So basically the command display isn't starting up.

Intermittently the system seems to restart itself - again showing the black background then Merc logo fine..then back to the white lines on the screen. The radio. media, aircon controls etc all do nothing.......

When in reverse the screen correctly displays the image fine .. so i assume its not the screen that's at fault but probably the unit or hopefully the software.

Have checked the fuses, and pressed and held in the cd eject button for few seconds as understand this may re-boot the system...... but makes no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Sorry I can't help but Comandonline are forum supporters and the acknowledged experts on anything to do with Comand. @Alfie may see this and be able to offer a view.

OP
P

Pauljames

Reaction score
Update - car has now been sat at merc dealers for 2 weeks!

Problem was diagnosed and told I needed a new audio 20 unit. Which including coding would cost £1150. Unit arrived, but the cd they needed to program it was on back order....the cd finally arrived... I've now been informed they,ve done to cd coding bit....but the new system won't read the navigation Sd card as its not compatible.... I am now told I need a new Nav SD card that will cost an extra £450.

Car was about 1 month out of warranty and Mercedes will not make a goodwill contribution, dealer agrees it's not good and they are now asking for help with the Sd cost.

The sat nav was working fine until the whole system packed up, so I can't believe I need a new unit as well as a new Sd card..... I wonder if the new Audio 20 will only work with a later Sd card and hence this new problem. If this was the case surely if the correct audio 20 system was ordered and fitted I woul'nt have needed a new Sd card..or they should have told me I needed both parts to be replaced......

I am due to resume my conversation with the dealer in a couple of days and wonder if they are spinning me a yarn....anyone with knowledge about this is welcome at provide advice as to me this doesn't sound plausable.

Itsme097

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d amg premium
Hi how did you get on with Mercedes with this, havin exactly the same problem but have 1 month warranty left so hoping to get it sorted before then!! But I am not expecting it to run smooth!!

Bernard Malinowski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 W205
Not used the car on the road for about 6 weeks, today started car up, command displays the Merc logo then 1/2 the screen goes white.... nothing else loads on the screen other than white lines - which eventually pretty much cover the screen. So basically the command display isn't starting up.

Intermittently the system seems to restart itself - again showing the black background then Merc logo fine..then back to the white lines on the screen. The radio. media, aircon controls etc all do nothing.......

When in reverse the screen correctly displays the image fine .. so i assume its not the screen that's at fault but probably the unit or hopefully the software.

Have checked the fuses, and pressed and held in the cd eject button for few seconds as understand this may re-boot the system...... but makes no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

such a nice car... such a disappointment

Bernard Malinowski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 W205
similar story... 2 weeks after warranty expired (being on holiday)... disappointed with Mercedes...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I expect the new unit was coded to your car and programmed with the latest software .... this latest software will have sneered at the old Nav Maps you had... so what you need is a new map, hence the new SD card.... its a nice little earner for Merc

for reference: if you had been aware and managed a service in the last month of your warranty period your command could have got the latest maps for free (its free on comand units during warranty period of 3 years) and that would have possibly saved you 450, and if you had sent the unit for repair at a third party it would have been fixed correctly for about £300 would not have needed the later better mapping and would be guaranteed for life... not the 2 years they give on spares if fitted in line with their standards (ie at a dealership). All rather unfortunate as its clearly designed to last 3 years and a month or in the other persons case 2 years and 11 months.

I seem to be the only one here suggesting a designed to fail manufacturing technique is prevalent in the motor industry, but sadly that's two of you that appear to have been impacted by it

in my view on average if designed before 2003 they tend to last 15 years
if designed 2005 to 2009 expect 10
after 2010 expect 5
the latest never buy lease it

Last edited:

Bernard Malinowski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 W205
OK, Merc in Stafford managed to sort the problem (generally) by updating the software...
although they can't say what: 1-is the current version...?, 2-was the previous one...?, 3-the difference between both of them...?
1-hour job = £100
...almost everything works :)
...now the touch-pad does not work at all...

Suggy

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class
OK, Merc in Stafford managed to sort the problem (generally) by updating the software...
although they can't say what: 1-is the current version...?, 2-was the previous one...?, 3-the difference between both of them...?
1-hour job = £100
...almost everything works :)
...now the touch-pad does not work at all...

I've got a similar problem to the original poster with my 64plate W205. Out of interest, what model Merc did you experience the fault on? And was the fault the same? I hope it's not a whole unit replacement deal as that sounds pricey.

Pionieer63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200, 2015, 1,6l diesel automatic
hi guys,I've got the same problem with my command screen
IMG_20191115_075540.jpg IMG_20191115_075540.jpg

both the car 6 month ago from the MB dealer in Bradford...the car came with months warranty, so i hope they will resolve this problem..free of charge..
I managed to book a visit in 2 weeks.. hahha they must be busy with all the warranty repairs..

These Mercedes cars are **** recently... for what we paying,

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
branding,

sadly in the brave new world the brand is the only bit they develop and put money behind, lewis is doing OK. Its funded by repeated sales of nasty comand units that make alba look good and headlamp units that set you back 4k a pop all made by slaves in china

Accountants did the maths 12 years ago and realised in the end giving lewis 35 million a year is cheaper than paying for engineers to go to college and their pension contributions

if you want a well designed, well made car and a sensible warranty you need a Hyundai

Last edited:

MercLimitless

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220D 2015 Amg Line
hi guys,I've got the same problem with my command screen
View attachment 53995 View attachment 53995

both the car 6 month ago from the MB dealer in Bradford...the car came with months warranty, so i hope they will resolve this problem..free of charge..
I managed to book a visit in 2 weeks.. hahha they must be busy with all the warranty repairs..

These Mercedes cars are **** recently... for what we paying,
I have the same issues and but don’t have warranty. Any recommendations rather than going directly to mercedes dealer as they are charging an arm and a leg!

gopher4456

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 C200 petrol
same problem problem here. Audio 20 screen (not command).

Mercedes unable to help, and unvilling to explain how the software update procedure works.

Not making this up. Mercedes wants me to pay for a software update, that may, or may not take place. They claim they can’t tell which software is in the car now, or if it will be updated.

BTW The problem is intermittent, and has been happening on/off past 3 years. The screen might not work for weeks,or days, and then suddenly works for a day or three.

Top Bottom