W207 sat nav retrofit

Irishe350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 e350 coupe
hi all,
I have a 2009 c207 e350coupe chassis No wdd2073222F026345.
It does not have sat nav fitted as standard and the bluetooth will link to phone for calls but not play music.
What parts would i have to buy to retrofit sat nav and updated bluetooth.
Do i need to cut and splice cables or is it plug and play?
I mailed command online sales for a quote and nearly had a stroke.

“Thanks for the email.

We can supply and fit a brand new Comand for your car for you,
including all parts, labour, coding and warranty for £2800. If you are
happy with a factory refurbished comand unit instead then we can do the
whole job for you for £1499 inclusive. Factory refurbished units are
indistinguishable from new ones and carry the same 1 year warranty.”

Thanks in advance for any advice
Shane

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Its a £2k option when new. And thats Mercedes getting the parts massively cheaper than anyone else can. Fitting taking under two minutes when the car is being built.

If you want to fit it yourself then you will need;

Comand unit
Screen
Fans
Ducting
Looms
Trim surround for screen.
Coding
Maps

Its not exactly plug and play i'm afraid.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Cheaper to change out the system, get an W207 specific android unit with loads more functions, better sat nav, DAB, reversing cameras, internet, streaming music etc.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I don't believe at this point in time there are any decent aftermarket units for the W207/w212.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Yep, there are, fitted one over a year ago now. Makes Comand look like it is still in the dark ages.
The 10.25" android screens have the downside that they do have the tablet stuck on the dash look of some other Mercedes, but the 9" one which fits into the recess isn't as good.

You keep the Comand unit in the background for radio etc and the interface is displayed through the Android UI. You use the Android unit for everything else. It has a sim slot to put your own 3G/4G sim card into making it entirely independent or you can tether it to your phone hotspot. This allows you to use Waze or Google Maps. It supports Android Auto out of the box, and Apple Carplay with a dongle. It has a Micro SD card slot so you can keep all your music / video's on the device and a couple of USB ports to connect up phones, USB sticks etc.

Cost is in the £500-600 range which is significantly cheaper than a Comand upgrade and if you are half handy with some basic tools you can fit it yourself.

rear_3a6be2ab29d2ba7daf508b1e9e15ffe681530607.jpg

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Yep, there are, fitted one over a year ago now. Makes Comand look like it is still in the dark ages.
The 10.25" android screens have the downside that they do have the tablet stuck on the dash look of some other Mercedes, but the 9" one which fits into the recess isn't as good.

You keep the Comand unit in the background for radio etc and the interface is displayed through the Android UI. You use the Android unit for everything else. It has a sim slot to put your own 3G/4G sim card into making it entirely independent or you can tether it to your phone hotspot. This allows you to use Waze or Google Maps. It supports Android Auto out of the box, and Apple Carplay with a dongle. It has a Micro SD card slot so you can keep all your music / video's on the device and a couple of USB ports to connect up phones, USB sticks etc.

Cost is in the £500-600 range which is significantly cheaper than a Comand upgrade and if you are half handy with some basic tools you can fit it yourself.

rear_3a6be2ab29d2ba7daf508b1e9e15ffe681530607.jpg

Looks different I'll grant you that.

So it intercepts the display signal? does it work with Audio-20 or only with comand? I see the comand/audio unit stays so how does the screen mount? How does the sound get to the cars speakers? Does it work with cars that have HK?

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It has a block connector that fits into the back of the main unit and the OEM connector then plugs into the new harness. Works with all versions of OEM systems be it Audio 20, 50 Comand and versions be it NGT 4, 4.x, 5.x. Works with HK systems as well as far as I know.

How it connects into the audio side depends on the car (A, C, E can all be different as you will know better than I do). In mine it is through the AUX connector in the arm rest. It automatically switches the OEM mode to AUX when you choose to use the media player in Android (takes a second or two but not an issue). The navigation can play sound over the OEM systems such as radio for directions. You could also use the OEM NAV function as well if you wish.

To mount the screen, you get the mounting kit relevant to the vehicle it is going in. The mounting kit attaches to the OEM screw that the old screen mounted to. Then the unit is attached to that mounting. Looks decent enough.

It isn't perfect, but brings it up to date and makes the car easier to live with. It is a vast improvement over anything that has come before the very latest model refresh.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems to be a few that would just replace the current head unit?

Except none of those will fit the car in question.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Lots are Listed for the W207/C207 ?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
As 400ixl says, none of those will fit the W207/C207.

You have to ask also what sort of quality are you getting from something that sells on ebay for about £100. ebay take 10% so that leaves £90 for the seller, card/paypal another 3% leaving £87. After the seller takes their profit and the manufacturer takes theirs its probably about £20 worth of parts.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lots are Listed for the W207/C207 ?

Many of listed the same item would fit the W207 A class and C class in the same advert. Complete rubbish.

Not that I am recommending it, but an example of the right unit on ebay would be https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=w207+10.25+android&_sacat=0

Which as you will see are all in the £600 range.

You also have to ignore the claimed version of Android as they are actually all 6.1 with the buildprop files modified to say 8.1. This is to make more apps available for install in the Play Store.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom