W208 Convertible roof problem

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
My uncle passed away earlier this year and left me a nominal amount (as he said) which would fund a cheap CLK. I went and viewed a nice looking one this morning. When I got there the roof wasn't working but had been a few days prior as the seller had sent photos with the roof down and was a bit embarrassed that the roof failed when I arrived to view.

Windows went down no problem.

Rear headrests didn't move on the switch

Light was slowly flashing on the roof button

Would a roof reset do the trick? Relay in the boot possible ( remove the metal panel for access).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I deal with maybe 10 roof issues every time the weather gets better.

30% time its the switch in the boot
20% of the time its a limit switch that is corroded
30% of the time its a mechanical linkage that isnt pressing the switch correctly
10% of the time its a leaking strut and the fluid level is low
10% of the time its the relay/fuse/power issue to the controller/pump

Basically, its a bit of a guess without diagnostics.

Do keep in mind it wont start to run the roof if there are stored codes, OR, if it does not know where the roof is at all.

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Thank you, I have been looking for a CLK and many come up with a roof problem or the usual rust and if no rust and working roof they are miles and miles away... that is useful information you posted. Checked the boot cover switch. I offered the guy a fair amount in respect of roof problem but has said he will try and repair first as after more cash which is understandable. Car to be fair, interior was tidy but exterior to tidy but don't mind as after a mercedes to run on classic insurance with roof down motoring!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are nice!! I have had a few. The roof problems can be costly though, labour for some of the struts its £££ but if its just limit switches (apart from the ram limit switch) they are not too pricey to sort.

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
I'm tempted to just say to him ill take it and have a play with it. I will sleep on it tonight and contact in the morning if not sold already

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sometimes moving them into a different position manually can help (EG fully opening the roof manually if its stuck closed) but that can be a faff.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom