[W208] Problem with side lamps

nodger

Reaction score
The 'exterior lighting bulb failure' indicator lamp has been coming on quite frequently, the problem usually being with one of the side lamps (same housing as full beams - light switch to position 1?).

Tonight, neither of the lamps will come on but the license plate lights come on fine, as do the instrument cluster lights. I don't think the problem is with the bulbs though, because the full beams come on when I push the 'combination switch' stalk forward, and I assume they're the same bulbs (?)

Anyone seen this happen before?

Also - does the orientation of the bulb matter when you insert it into the socket? Do they have polarity?

Last edited:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Side lights are not the same bulbs as the Main Beam, and no, they are not polarity sensitive

OP
N

nodger

Reaction score
Side lights are not the same bulbs as the Main Beam, and no, they are not polarity sensitive

Right, I'm confused. The main beam bulbs used to illuminate 'dimly' when I turned the switch to position 1. I assumed that these were called the side lamps. I'm talking about the light marked with the star in the attached photo, just in case I'm using the wrong names/terms. :)

There don't appear to be any other bulbs blown, so am I looking at a fuse/wiring issue?

Attachments

• clk-lights.jpg
    clk-lights.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 5

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Right, I'm confused. The main beam bulbs used to illuminate 'dimly' when I turned the switch to position 1.
No they didn't. You have separate 5w lamps in there. Have you read the manual?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
The Main Beam will be a H7, the side lights will be either be an all glass 501, or a offset pin BAX9

OP
N

nodger

Reaction score
No they didn't. You have separate 5w lamps in there. Have you read the manual?

Well, this is embarrassing :) I''d read the manual a few years ago but didn't see the reference to the separate bulbs, and never noticed it when changing the beam bulbs. Thanks for the pointer!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom