W209 boot lid issues

Shedofdread

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320s of various ages....
Just thought I'd post this info in case it helps anyone else. Or perhaps everyone already knows..? In which case sorry for the waste of bandwidth....

Recently I was working on an older but really rather nice W209 CLK. The boot lid needed to be stripped down and on removing the lower, outer plastic panel I found corrosion starting around the hole around the boot lid release handle. Since then, I've seen another car where that corrosion has spread and has 'popped' the lip below the centre brake light.

So, if you have a nice, clean W209 that you intend to keep for a while, remove that plastic panel and check behind......

BTW, to remove that panel, there's 4 Torx screws that pass through the metal into the plastic and a bolt in the centre ( remove the number plate to access this).

Hope this helps someone :)

SteveF10

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK Kompressor/2007/2000
Just thought I'd post this info in case it helps anyone else. Or perhaps everyone already knows..? In which case sorry for the waste of bandwidth....

Recently I was working on an older but really rather nice W209 CLK. The boot lid needed to be stripped down and on removing the lower, outer plastic panel I found corrosion starting around the hole around the boot lid release handle. Since then, I've seen another car where that corrosion has spread and has 'popped' the lip below the centre brake light.

So, if you have a nice, clean W209 that you intend to keep for a while, remove that plastic panel and check behind......

BTW, to remove that panel, there's 4 Torx screws that pass through the metal into the plastic and a bolt in the centre ( remove the number plate to access this).

Hope this helps someone :)

Hi

Not sure if you can help.
I have had issues with my CLK W209 soft-top, whilst trying to investigate the issue on the soft-top I removed the Compartment Cover Lid Switch, once I had disconnected the switch I wanted to see what effect that would have on the operation.
Obviously in doing so I had to close the boot. Needless to say it had no effect on the soft top and I assume it has interupted the control wiring and the boot operation. So now i am unable to open the boot electrically or via the key.

Can you please help.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom