w209 clk270 03 - 2nd gear problems

billiegoatsgruff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 clk270
Hi All,

Ive found a few bits and pieces on 2nd gear issues for the same or similar models. What i have found is that since an oil change and when its cold, changing into 2nd gear (especially in the morning from a cold start) it is difficult and sometimes it crunches into gear (it doesnt grind however).

I saw some posts (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25928) about oil levels but my mechanic says that the levels in my gearbox should be fine.

Does anyone know anything else to try? Once the car is warmed up 2nd gear is fine. Its not the loosest transmission but it is perfectly workable.

There is approx. 165k miles on the clock but everything is running very well.

thanks for any info,
John

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Have you used the correct grade of oil?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
That's pretty common 'feature' in 5G boxes. If no fault codes (for example rotating sensors of the hyd.unit), it's first symptom about wear of the hydraulic unit. Some claims that TC lock valve may cause that, but also many reports that also other valve sleeves are worn, and therefore gear changes are jerky. There are repair sets for valve sleeves/spools available, don't know how difficult to change them and how well it will work. Also should be worth to check that there is no oil in control unit!

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are we talking manual gearbox or auto? I assumed manual as it " Crunches into gear"?

Last edited:
OP
B

billiegoatsgruff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 clk270
Hi,

...such quick responses, thanks a mill!

Yep shes a manual 6 speed gearbox (should have mentioned).
My mechanic is an ex-merc garage mechanic so the grade of oil i would expect is spot on. I will ask him though tomorrow when i go to him.

There's definitely no fault codes related to the transmission but i will mention checking for oil in the control unit!

My mechanic has mentioned in the past about a physical transmission adjustment that can be made on these models, its a very exact adjustment to the mm and can sometimes messes things up more than help - should i go down this route?

mersum1es - if there are no transmission errors showing should i still be going down the route of investigating valve sleeves?

Many Thanks,

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Yep shes a manual 6 speed gearbox (should have mentioned).
mersum1es - if there are no transmission errors showing should i still be going down the route of investigating valve sleeves?

I'm sorry too, my answer was for automatic box, should have read your link, there Malcolm was telling that this is manual related (and it didn't occurred to me because all who own manual mercedes are stating that they are bulletproof, compared to automatic ones :rolleyes:).

EdiT: and I'm afraid manual box doesn't have any control unit (well, actually I know nothing about MB manuals transmissions)

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st port of call is the oil, check with mb for spec and grade. Something has changed and you had the oil changed.

OP
B

billiegoatsgruff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 clk270
Just to update, my gearbox is ten times better now!

My mechanic made that adjust he was telling me about. This micro-fine mechanical adjustment and this helped massively once the car was running for more than 15/20mins and the gearbox oil was heated up. With just this change however it was still the same on cold mornings - very stiff going into second gear.

However last week he changed the oil to ATF - automatic transmission fluid i think he said and although its not 100% perfect on cold mornings it has pretty much fixed the issue.

Delighted now because the car is so much nicer to drive.

Top Bottom