W209 issue I can't work out!

CLK Tim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK500 2003, Altea FR
Hi, first post and it's a "help me" one I'm afraid. I have a CLK500 (2003) and have an odd issue I want to work out before going back to the garage for the warranty work it obviously needs doing. The other day it was raining really hard and I went through a deepish puddle (left side only), when I put my foot on the accelerator it sounded like the engine had become a lot louder and in fact I thought I had a puncture, pulled over, no puncture. When I set off the noise wasn't there and didn't have any more issues.

Yesterday I was travelling up the M3 and hit a traffic jam and was stuck in it for 45 minutes, I could hear a noise from the same passenger front tyre when I was stationary, it sounded like a kind of grinding noise but stopped as soon as I released the brake to move forward. Once I got into some clear traffic and stopped again the noise had gone. (brake pads are fine, I checked them first!)

All of the issues seem to be from the front passenger wheel area, could someone suggest something it may be? could it be traction control system issues? (my thought considering when I went through puddle the loud noise I thought may be traction control having been soaked)

As with all intermittent problems I need to try and work out what it is before going to the garage, they will of course say nothing is wrong.

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Needs to go up in the air really tim, could be so many things!

Welcome to the forums!

OP
C

CLK Tim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Needs to go up in the air really tim, could be so many things!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes I know you are right :( I just thought that if this situation sounded familiar to anyone then I could try and narrow it down for the garage. Thanks for the welcome, I have used car forums for the past 10 years, they are the only place to come for the best information (and banter)!

And it's nice to see this forum isn't crowded with "text talking chavs", fantastic, I have entered forum Mecca :D

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Yes I know you are right :( I just thought that if this situation sounded familiar to anyone then I could try and narrow it down for the garage. Thanks for the welcome, I have used car forums for the past 10 years, they are the only place to come for the best information (and banter)!

And it's nice to see this forum isn't crowded with "text talking chavs", fantastic, I have entered forum Mecca :D

wkm 2 or 4um. gd u lk it 2

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
joking aside, this is about the best, most helpfull MB forum that you will find, and of course , welcome :)

ps, edit your profile so its clear what car you drive, model year and your location, makes it a bit easier for others to point you in the right direction

OP
C

CLK Tim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
joking aside, this is about the best, most helpfull MB forum that you will find, and of course , welcome :)

ps, edit your profile so its clear what car you drive, model year and your location, makes it a bit easier for others to point you in the right direction

All done and filled in, I'm now off to do a search to find out how to rip the stereo out to put a Parrot MKI9200 into the car :)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
All done and filled in, I'm now off to do a search to find out how to rip the stereo out to put a Parrot MKI9200 into the car :)

Welcome to the Forum Tim. It is very user friendly.

We had a CLK500 in the family for a couple of years - cracking car. Hope you solve the problem soon and get back to enjoying it.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Welcome to the forums....

You will love it here

Do tell us what the cause was so that everyone else know of the cause of this issue.

GRAHAME2001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K CAB, GOLF GTI CAB, PUG 206, FREELANDER
Could the fault not be something simple like dirt/grit being washed into the brake pads?
I'm a right novice at this but it just sounded logical after the water bath..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could well be a small stone that has wedged itself in,,I do not think that you have a fault.

If you wold like the instructions for taking out the radio or comand just ask :D:D:D

OP
C

CLK Tim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It could well be a small stone that has wedged itself in,,I do not think that you have a fault.

If you wold like the instructions for taking out the radio or comand just ask :D:D:D

I am asking, please could you tell me? I thought that maybe you start by pulling up the trim round the auto lever and then unscrewing some screws near the ashtray. Problem is, I tried pulling uyp the trim and couldn't work out what to pull up next, I was probably being a bit soft with the trim.

I have dismantled Supra's, Celica's, Altea's but I am a little worried about snapping something in the CLK because it will probably cost a small fortune!!

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I think Malc would have some literature on removing the stereo. Alternatively you can go to your local Car audio shop and pay them £35/hour or so to have the B/T kit fitted. I wouldnt think they will charge you any more than 1 hours labour

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom