W210 320CDI Sudden Plume of Acrid Smoke... and all good?

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hello,

Jus a quick question and/or story on what happened to me today. I was finally in Germany able to give the car some speed, and after about, oh, 40 minutes of 130-180 KM/h driving (avg. of about 160?) I saw my car belch out the most disgusting, bluey-grey near-opaque smoke from the exhaust. The car seemed to marginally lose a bit of power for really a few seconds only, and after that - nothing. In fact, it seems, the car runs BETTER now, stopped (gently) vibrating in idle (while in D) and seems more quiet now.

Now - about 5000KM ago, I put in diesel injector cleaner, and went on a long trip to Italy. I am fairly sure that sometime towards the end of these 5000KM, something similar has occured, although the plume seemed to be less. At the time, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and assumed it was someone else. Now I am fairly sure that was another such event.

So - my THEORY is that the driving fast has "uncrusted" some crap stuck in the engine/cylinders, and that plume was simply that crap being burned away. This is supported by these observations:

- The car seems to run BETTER now
- Diesel Injector cleaner has been applied first time after... oh... 50K KM? (it just ran very well all the time, but I forced myself to add it, finally)
- Streess/higher RPM (up to 3600RPM) which would shake things up
- Aside of the plume, NOTHING else is wrong - no limp home mode, no smoking, no smell inside, the engine sounds like new
- Because the car kept on going (virtually without a hitch), it is fairly reasonable to assume this is a single-cylinder event so to speak

Does anyone have a better idea? Of course I am going to go check it out but as an unfortunate circumstance I also managed to incapacitate my hood-opening-cable a couple weeks ago so until I visit my mechanic on WED, I cant even properly open the hood ;)

All I can add is that the car runs very well, I've had it for over 2 years now, done 120K with it, maintain it by the book with all filter/fluid changes as dictated from Stuttgart with MB originals (yes, the mechanics always think I am nuts)

Thanks and Take Care :)

W

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes it does sound as though it blew some crap out of the manifolds and burnt it.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
quite likely crud going through, yes.

not from cylinders though - it would be the build up from inside the inlet manifold, EGR and PCV products.

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Thank you, case closed. Still will let an indie take a look... in general, would you advise a manifold reconditioning? I have heard some people do it and/or replace the plastic flaps with new (metal?) ones... is it worth it, from a longevity point of view...?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It would appear that it has cleaned itself out, I would just leave it, you have no warnings up

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
as malcolm, probably no real need to get involved if all running OK.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I suspect the Cat has coughed up a furball...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom