W210 CDI 220 won't start after manifold clean

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
I have had a limp mode problem with my recently purchased car. Searching the forum I saw it is a common problem, and is often related to EGR valve. I took it off to clean it, and saw the manifold is packed with black gunk. So I decided to clean it as well. During the disassembly I took off the diesel rail, the pipes from it to injectors, the coolant expansion valve, the hydraulic oil reservoir and some king of a fuel canister (filter?) next to it. I discovered the previous owner disposed of the manifold swirl valve system (neither the servo nor the valves are installed) plugging the holes with bolts. After reassembly I have 2 spare plugs running from the box beneath the injector pipes together with the ground wire for the starter motor. One of them I believe belongs to the non-existent swirl valves servo, the other one (yellow with a black casing, 2 wires) I can not find where to plug. I would not worry about it, assuming it is just another spare plug (there are plenty of those in the engine bay), but the car won't start. I tried to bleed the air by unscrewing the copper pipes from injectors and pumping the rubber manual pump which is installed on one of inlet line until diesel starts squirting. No avail, I can't start the car. I guess I really need some help here. I have never owned a diesel before. I have taken some pics of those plugs, I can upload them if I find a way to do it...

Attachments

• Plug 2.JPG
    Plug 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Plug.JPG
    Plug.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 324

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Is the crank sensor plugged in?

OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
I am not sure - is it the plug at the bottom of the engine on the drivers side?
I have an update which may or may not help. This morning I checked fuel lines, and it seems I attached the lines to the diesel pump? (at the front of an engine) the opposite way. The fuel line from the OUT of the black fuel reservoir was attached to the out of the pump, and the clear tube going up from the bottom was attached to the IN. Now I reversed them, bled the air and tried to ignite - no luck. The diesel is getting to the injectors - when you crank with the copper hose open the diesel squirts from the hose. So, if the fuel is reaching the injectors, what could prevent it from igniting? If I understand the diesel engine principle, the compression generates heat that ignites the fuel, so if the diesel is reaching the pistons it should ignite... I really need some help here! I will post some pics with the fuel lines setup soon...

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
The diesel is not reaching the cylinders, because the ECU is not firing the injectors.

The crank sensor is at the very back of the engine, on the right hand side as viewed from the front (LHS as sitting in the car looking forward), just above the starter motor.

OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
Is it under a manifold? Is it possible one of the mysterious plugs (2 contact maybe) belongs to it? If so, is there a way to get to it without removing the manifold? And if the manifold has to be removed, can I remove it without removing the fuel rail?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can get to the CPS from under the car, though some can from above, there is just the 1 plug on top of the sensor, a black round thing

Attachments

• Picture 591.jpg
    Picture 591.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
I will try, but it is very hard to see anything there. Can you, please direct me under which manifold tube is it? I can see a 5x5 cm square cover on the engine block above the starter motor, but no sensor. Am I correct to presume I need to plug one of the 2 plugs I posted photos of into the sensor? I looked from under the car but could only see the starter motor above the steering linkage. Is there a picture or engine block diagram that may direct me?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
29 or 32

index.php

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The larger plug (with the 3 connectors) looks like the one that would normally plug into the swirl flap actuator motor, you say that the swirl flaps are removed but the motor would normally be left in position and plugged in, even though the flaps are not connected, to fool the ecu into thinking the flaps are still there. The reason for limp mode is probably due to the actuator motor not being present/connected
The other plug is probably for the cps or, if not, it may be for the oil level sensor which is located underneath the inlet manifold, close to the bottom/front of the block and not easy to see.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
The limp mode is a new thing, it happened VERY recently. The actuator motor removement is an old job, not mine. Whoever did this must have found a way to bypass it somehow, I have no idea how, although I would very much like to know in case the bypass somehow failed. Can't I attach some kind of current consumption device or resistor to emulate the motor? As for the other plug, it was indeed a CPS plug. It took me a while to find it, in my car it sits on a gearbox bell, not where it appears in the drawing. Alex, Malcolm - thumbs up for your help! I wouldn't find it without you! Those plugs are EXACTLY alike as the plugs that belong to the diesel rail, 3 pins at the front and 2 pins at the back. I was sure those are there for a 6 cylinder engine, which might have shared the same harness. Anyway, I fond the correct sensor the engine fired up! I have a running car again... Now if only I could figure out if the turbo is working. What controls it? I saw there is an arm beneath it that could move up/down, but I do not know what mechanism operates it. Can anyone post a diagram of the turbo and whatever controls it?

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zeev

Reaction score
Website
www.invignome.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI W210 OM611
BTW, Television, my CPS is not round, it is as No 32 on a diagram you have sent me and is located on the bell at 10 o'clock. You can see it and reach it from above without any problems if you know where to look (silly me, I disconnected it myself).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it OK now then

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom