W210 E320 Abs Esp Bas confusing problem

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Hi all, i know this is a common problem but mine seems odd and unique.

When driving after about 5 minutes normally, can take alot longer, all 3 of the warnings come on. Abs, Esp and Bas. They seem to come on when traveling at a constant speed i think, not atall when touching the brake.
I can restart the car and the warnings turn off for another 5 minutes.

What is strange is that when i took my car abroad driving 3000 miles, for about a month or two of it the problem disapeared. it simply wouldnt give me any problems no matter how far i drove.

I could change the brake light switch sure, if people think thats it.
I have cleaned both front wheel speed sensors and the reluctor ring teeth.
I havnt done anything to the rear one, maybe its that?

Another problems im having is my brake lights will get stuck on, and the entire right side of them wont work. Its not the bulbs as they have been seen working and the parking brake puts them on. Sounds like an earth, is that it? if so where are the earths i should be checking? This seems to happen independent of whether and 3 ABS lights pop up.

One final possibly related problem is an odd problem with the power. it doesnt allways do it, but sometimes if i drive very slowly and steadily for a good amount of time, ill loose total torque and it wont kickdown well. If i put my foot down it will very slowly limp up the revs and eventually gain torque and change gear, still drives like normal otherwise. Its not like the normal limp home mode when it wont change gear. BUT, turning off the car and back on seems to fix this problem for about 10 minutes. As i said sometimes i can go for as long as i want and not have this problem, great kickdowns and hard torque whenever. It doesn't only happen when the 3 ABS lights come on, seems seperate.

Anyway my main problem is these 3 lights coming on and the brake lights staying on.

I could source somewhere to give me a STAR reading, but i figured that'd be costly.
Any ideas people? Thanks!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I had this and it was a brake light switch. For £12 it's a cheap fix and if it isn't, you'd need one soon anyway

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Toby, always the best £12 ever spent :D

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Righto, ill go and grab one today. will update when its in.

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
problem seems to be solved, cheers!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom