W210 E320 CDI running temperature

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Having looked at some threads, I paid attention to my temp gauge this morning - car was serviced yesterday.

It's 8 degrees here according to the dash. It took about 20 mins to reach about 65 degrees, then didn't rise till I stopped and switched back on, by which time it was about 70-75 somewhere.

Heating etc is working as usual. No drop in fuel efficiency, i.e. usual for winter.

The manual gives no operating temp norms.

Is this about right for this time of year etc, or is it a sign that the thermostat needs changing? To be honest, I've never really paid much attention to the running temp in the previous 70k I've owned it, so long as it's "within reasonable norms". Could always have been like this, or it could have got cooler, I've not no idea.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Normal is 88oC...you need a new stat.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Normal is 88oC...you need a new stat.

Should have been clearer. 20 mins was as far as I went. Ought it to have warmed up in that time anyway, even if the stat was working OK? I wasn't thrashing it, just 40 mph max b roads.

Last edited:

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Should have been clearer. 20 mins was as far as I went. Ought it to have warmed up in that time anyway, even if the stat was working OK? I wasn't thrashing it, just 40 mph max b roads.

it is stuck open as apposed to stuck closed so is not allowing engine temp to rise to correct figure

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
it is stuck open as apposed to stuck closed so is not allowing engine temp to rise to correct figure

Cheers. So does that mean that on a longer run in warmer weather it will eventually get up nearer temp - I'm going to the S of France at the end of next week, and given the forecast for the next few days, I don't much fancy doing this on the drive? But if it's going to mean using a lot more fuel, I'll swallow the pain of paying an indie to change it...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
These engines take quite a time to reach normal temp...but 20 minutes driving, even at 40, should be enough in all but the very very coldest weather...in my experience.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Fairy Nuff. Turns out localish ECP have one in stock, so will have at it tomorrow. What better way to spend Mother's Day than keeping out the way of things under the bonnet....
Cheers.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Is it me or is the firm making thermostats for Mercs having a laugh. There seems to be loads of cars having the same trouble on this site. Surely this being 2013 it should be possible to make a thermostat that will last.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Does seem to be common. Mine is at 130K, and certainly hasn't had one for 70k, and probably never, which isn't too bad I guess.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hard to say on 20 mins with a diesel, my petrol took 13 mins to get to 80c.

And yes the thermostats are very poor, I have sent out more info for these than anything else., Mind you this is a hot forum.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Most merc motors are good for 300k miles plus if looked after, so I would have thought someone could design a thermostat that can do more than 100k miles. Surely its not rocket science after all the design of these things has not really changed for years.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Yes, but why would you want one to last that long - it would just be surrounded by a skeleton of rust.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Electronics are far more reliable than they were in the 60s when I did my apprenticeship so surely a thermostat valve controlled by electronics might be an answer, provided its not made by the same company makes merc EGR valves

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Is it me or is the firm making thermostats for Mercs having a laugh. There seems to be loads of cars having the same trouble on this site. Surely this being 2013 it should be possible to make a thermostat that will last.

It is apparent that Mercedes-Benz source their thermostats from the same 'quality' supplier as their road springs...

:(

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

Correct...but the OP's car was made in about 2000.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
It is apparent that Mercedes-Benz source their thermostats from the same 'quality' supplier as their road springs...

:(

I think you mean "the same "quality" supplier as makes the rest of the steel items, like the bodywork"".

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Most merc motors are good for 300k miles plus if looked after, so I would have thought someone could design a thermostat that can do more than 100k miles. Surely its not rocket science after all the design of these things has not really changed for years.

Thermostats have been around for many years as you say...but cars capable of doing even close to 100,000 miles is a recent phenomenon. When I had company cars back in the 80s and early 90s we changed them every 40,000 miles...and they were done.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
My Herald had done 90K odd before someone wrote it off. My 76 MG has almost 80k on, and other than routine servicing and less rust touches than my 2000 W210, has had nothing done.

Edit: And it's not had a new thermostat for at least 16 years, if ever, too!

Last edited:
OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Well, all done - 35 mins. Save that the stupid sensor had gone brittle, and broke at the elbow as soon as I touched it to undo the plug. New Thermo didn't come with one, so will have to get one Monday. Put the old one in the new for now to keep it drivable. Just won't be able to see how warm it gets!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well, all done - 35 mins. Save that the stupid sensor had gone brittle, and broke at the elbow as soon as I touched it to undo the plug. New Thermo didn't come with one, so will have to get one Monday. Put the old one in the new for now to keep it drivable. Just won't be able to see how warm it gets!

Most manage to do just that :D:D

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom