1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w210 e320 stuck in park

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by admiral, Jan 4, 2011.

1. admiral

admiral Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W210 E320
    Happy New Year!
    A couple of times recently, our 2000 e320 w210, with only 14,000 miles has refused to allow us to move the gear selector out of park.

It appears to be an intermittent problem and the solution that we have found seems to be by pressing the switch that I believe would turn the alarm off for towing??

Whilst this solves the problem, it is not a long term fix and so any ideas?

We have not had any problems with the brake lights which appears to cause this problem with others and it happens in both the cold and milder weather.
    I cant fathom why pressing that switch would solve the problem and what the underlying cause is.

Thanks in advance.

2. andy@pcd-ltd

andy@pcd-ltd Guest

I really cant see how pressing that switch can make it come out of park when stuck, as these two systems are unrelated.

To me the fault would more than likely lie with either a faulty brake light switch as these are dual circuit switches or even the selector module itself is on its way out

3. OP
    admiral

admiral Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W210 E320
    Thanks Willow and I agree, I am mystified why the button works but for some reason it does.
    I presume that if it was a faulty brake light switch, I would have a faulty brake light?

I hope its not the selector as it sounds expensive!

4. andy@pcd-ltd

andy@pcd-ltd Guest

You wouldnt have faulty brake lights as it is a dual circuit switch.

Its the same as when the switch goes down and causes the bas/esp light to stay on the brake lights still work fine.

It is going to be hard to diagnose as you said the fault is intermittant.

It may be still worth running a star test to see if any faults have been stored in it and may also be worth putting a brake light switch on it as they are only about £15

5. OP
    admiral

admiral Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W210 E320
    This happened again to me today and we had to call the AA out as we were stuck!
    My previous 'fix' failed to work this time.
    I have now purchased a brake light switch although the AA guy thought it may be the ignition switch?
    He based this decision on the brake lights working??

Teaches me for not changing the brake light sooner but I will definitely try and change the brake light switch tomorrow but is there a guide anywhere?

6. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    Just out of interest when you were "stuck" in park did you try to get it out of park by inserting a pen or similar to release it through the flap behind the selector??

7. OP
    admiral

admiral Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W210 E320
    Hi Dan, that's what the AA guy showed me and even gave me a pen with which to do it!
    Obviously not a long term solution but got me home this time!

Anyone know what the signs are of a brake light switch versus an ignition switch?

Thank you in advance!

8. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    It will be the brake light switch then.

9. dieselman

dieselman Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A diesel
    It won't be the ignition switch on your car as it has the flap for pressing the solenoid release.

10. OP
    admiral

admiral Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W210 E320
    brilliant thanks guys, I also have now found instructions for changing it so will do so in the morning.
    I am relieved that its the brake light switch and very grateful for the help.

Have a good evening.

Jonny