W210 ESP/BAS/ABS problem- not brake switch

R

richardgill

Help please - I cant' work this out not can my Indie. I had a defective bulb warning light and the rear offside brake light was not working. This has happened before and it is a pitted/carbonised contact on the tail light assembly. Bulb appeared fine but decided to change it anyway and cleaned the contacts. Replaced but still defective bulb warning. Removed bulb with engine running and replaced more firmly but this caused ESP/BAS/ABS warnings to appear in addition to defective bulb. Now also all three brake lights not functioning. Checked fuses in all three main locations but all OK. Looked on the forum and remembered that the brake switch causes the ESP etc. problem so ordered from Inchcape MB Parts along with two new bulbs. Fitted today but still same warnings. Bulb warning comes on just after ignition and then other warnings as soon as I hit the brake. Took to my local Indie this afternoon and they cleared the faults from the memory but this did nothing. Took rear tail light connector off to check for pitting but all contacts including those on 6 contact brake switch look fine. A month ago the battery went flat overnight when my son and I went to Goodwood and this afternoon with the door open and ignition on the battery would not start the car after 10 mins. My Indie charged the battery but faults still exists. This is an original battery from 2001 so have booked in for a new battery and to solve the problem but Indie are scratching their heads. Does anyone have any ideas? or is this one for a MB main dealer?

OP
R

richardgill

Forgot to add that with these problems acceleration and gearbox seem to be held back in some way, kickdown not possible although can change down with auto shift.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Richard,, This is not a easy one as you say,,I think that it is a CAN fault drom the K40 SAM The speed signals and ESP, along with the lamp warning circuit all go through this SAM

Ask you Mechanic to look at those circuits

OP
R

richardgill

Hello Richard,, This is not a easy one as you say,,I think that it is a CAN fault drom the K40 SAM The speed signals and ESP, along with the lamp warning circuit all go through this SAM

Ask you Mechanic to look at those circuits

Thanks Malcolm. Where is the K40 module?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a daft question,, are the bulbs that you replaced the correct ones,,some how the speed signal has gone, this causing the problems

OP
R

richardgill

Just a daft question,, are the bulbs that you replaced the correct ones,,some how the speed signal has gone, this causing the problems
Yes they are the correct bulbs and anyway the problem occurred with the original bulbs and with only one showing as defective. Maybe the problem stems from the battery and so I'll change this first. It's done over 8 years of service and 90,000 so I can't complain.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes they are the correct bulbs and anyway the problem occurred with the original bulbs and with only one showing as defective. Maybe the problem stems from the battery and so I'll change this first. It's done over 8 years of service and 90,000 so I can't complain.

Thank you Richard,,, our cars can get starting blips as they are called, this happens when the voltage is to low for the ECU's to re set, I did have a good look last night for something in common, the cluster is one such place

pablosd

Reaction score
hello i have the same problem with mine 00 w210 kompressor, but funny enough the abs/bas/esp light only comes up when i adjust my drivers seat(further or back) or when i move on the seat eg taking a corner fast. Did anybody hear about that?? Some seat sensor or what??
thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome :D:D are you sure that it was the ESP and not the ASR lamp that comes on when you move the seat

pablosd

Reaction score
yeah postive, when i do the reset(left to right lock etc) and turn off and turn on the engine lights are gone, then when i pull the seat forward all three abs/esp/bas come up again, or for example the car is running and i get out of the car it comes up again, looks like something to do with the weight sensor or so...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will take a look when my other computer is on,,never had this before

pablosd

Reaction score
thanks very much, i'll probably go to mb next week to get the problem checked out and see what is wrong with it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks very much, i'll probably go to mb next week to get the problem checked out and see what is wrong with it

I would use a good indie on this as it could be very expensive using MB

pablosd

Reaction score
the problem is that closest indie is 140miles aways 4rm where i live, btw does the lock to lock reset procedure have to be repeated 3 times??? i just want the to diagnose the the problem to see what comes up on the computer

Dringo

Reaction score
Website
gwoa.co.uk
Your Mercedes
190E > G230 > C240T > SL320 > CLK320 > A180CDi > E320CDi > E350Cdi > G350Bluetec
I want to know what the result was?

Drivenroundthebenz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes SLK 230K w209 CLK 220 cdi Sport Coupe
ESP goes out when I move Seat!!

Hi all
I've posted a similar problem to this. In the past week have found my esp light has not been coming on since I moved my seats forward up down etc.
Its been a revelation not to hear the beep of a malfunction when taking out the key!!

But it came on again this morning!!:confused: Did the seat trick and its gone out again on restart!!
Could it be something to do with the seat switches on the door rather than the seat itself?

Thanks

Dringo

Reaction score
Website
gwoa.co.uk
Your Mercedes
190E > G230 > C240T > SL320 > CLK320 > A180CDi > E320CDi > E350Cdi > G350Bluetec
I first has BAS ESP/ABS lights one cold morning. Seems like it might have been an ABS rpm sensor not getting its signal to the central brain, via the CAN bus or something. Apparently a low voltage can cause tricks with the transmitter 'chips'. MB reset it and said it might be just a blip. If your's occurred this morning, given the cold snap, could also be voltage related.
Alternatively, chaffed wiring in the back of the seat is mentioned.
Worst case - the ABS rpm sensor or another ECU is actually failing and needs replacing. They all seem expensive to do, except the Brake Light Switch which is another favourite of these fault issues.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom