W210 grabbing keyfob

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Can't see anything really similar in the search world.

Couple of weeks ago, the fob started turning in the ignition beyond the normal range, i.e. the central rotating barrel was traveling further round than normal. It was a fiddle get the key to release too.

Sprayed some lube in there, and it seemed to sort itself out.

Now however, you have a "jiggle" the fob to get it in, and again to get it out, even after the lock whirring thing's made the let go noise - it's not grabbing and releasing cleanly. Other than that, everything is working fine.

The garage had a squint, said they couldn't find anything wrong, and that a new ignition unit from MB was about £3.79million, so I'd rather not go down that route. On the other hand, obviously I don't want to get stuck somewhere when/if it finally throws a wobbly.

Checked inner lock ring - tight.
Does it with both fobs, so not battery prob with fob.
Car battery fine.

Any ideas?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Possibly not the same issue but in my 3 years of owning mine I've had the key not release from the ignition 3 times. The first two times I was none the wiser as to why. I just left it a while or drove round the block and all was well.

On the third occasion I noticed I hadn't put the gear lever into P properly. A minor push to make sure it was in P and then the key released ok.

May not be your issue but worth a check and it costs nothing

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Had the same as above cleaned out with some alcohol and cotton buds.

OP
B

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Had the same as above cleaned out with some alcohol and cotton buds.

Ah. Worth a go.

Done.

Now. What did you do to the car?

More seriously, thanks - will give it a go in the morning.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom