W210- key failure

R

richardgill

One of our keys has just ceased to work the steering lock and ignition. The little red led still lights and it still unlocks and locks the car but will not work in the ignition lock. Changed the batteries just to be sure but still the same. Any suggestions? I seem to recall reading something that Malcolm reported on some time ago but can't find.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One of the coils falls off if the keys are dropped

Attachments

• Picture 608.jpg
    Picture 608.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
R

richardgill

Thanks Television - after getting the top off how do you get the circuit board out? Gently with a thin blade?

OP
R

richardgill

Malcolm - thanks again for the expert advice - coil was loose at bottom end of circuit board as you thought. Unfortunatley it is now totally detached as my clumsy fingers were too fat! Usually pretty adept at these things but there is now no possibility of reconnecting the copper wires on the coil. I've looked on ebay and will consider removing a coil from an old key (assuming the coil from a used fob is still in good nick -no way of knowing until purchased?) and trying to fit but maybe it's easier to to buy a new one - are they really £200? Still have one other key and a very slim spare which will operate ignition and drivers door but not remote - maybe these will do instead of spending £200!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can fit the coils, you have to be very experienced in soldering to do this, and you need the right iron to do it, fro new the were machine wave soldered.

If the copper wires have broken off to short, then only a coil from another can be used. They do cost £200

OP
R

richardgill

Thanks Malcolm. Would you be willing to fit if I can get a key on ebay- there seem to be a few on at the moment around £10 - 20?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will have a go for you, there ar 2 versions of the key but the early ones like you have are the most popular

OP
R

richardgill

Thanks Malcolm. I'll see if I can find the same key on ebay

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom